[web] To Frames or not to frames?

Started by
5 comments, last by demonkoryu 18 years ago
I am creating a site and have run into a dillema in which I am wondering if frames is the best solution. Basically, I have content on the left part of the site that I don't want to change when the text on the right side of the page changes, because the content on the left side is a scrolling picture slideshow, which should not be reloaded (which would restart the slideshow). Is there some better solution than frames? And will the use of frames hurt my position in search engine results or anything like that? Thanks
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Senses777
Is there some better solution than frames?

You can always use Dynamic &#106avascripts or of its kind to create slide shows.
(If the things on the right is just simple text that is)
But, in your case, I think frames may be appropriate.
I personally try my best to avoid frames because they fragment the flow of the website design.

Quote:Original post by Senses777
And will the use of frames hurt my position in search engine results or anything like that?

I'm not sure but I think it does, because only the right side of the frame has the text and thus only the right side will be caught by crawlers. (the side with text)
You can use a fixed-position CSS element to keep that item static while the rest of the page scrolls. You will lose a bit of backwards compatibility however.
Or you could use divs, i don't think they're considered frames.

Dave
divs + css + &#106avascript<br><br>You can pretty much eliminate the need for frames and even tables nowadays.<br><br>~don
www.ChippedDagger.com"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -- Milton Berle
Yes, frames will definetly hurt your SE rankings. Frames are as bad as they can get for SEO. It's funny that so many people don't realize that yet (was one of those myself just a few months ago.) The only thing frames should be considered for today is an E-commerce.

There are of course things you can do to top up your results, but it's complicated and wont get you very far compared to a table / css static design.
Free Classic Arcade Games by Blitzway Games
Frames are easier to use than CSS/&#106avascript or, behold, AJAX things. If you are using dynamic pages (Perl/PHP/ASP/RubyOnRails/Python/whatever), the CSS solution might be just as easy (and is recommended by <a href="http://www.w3c.org/">W3C</a>).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement