Memory tracker

Started by
25 comments, last by RDragon1 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by TerrorFLOP
If my compiler compiles my program without making a fuss... Then I would like to think that it did so because it was syntactically 'correct', even though some may frown upon the 'style' of the program itself.

Or that it may not compile on any other platform, or other compiler, or even different version of the same compiler. There's no telling the amount of headaches and hassles you could go through by intentionally violating the standards, since the compiler should be safe to assume that a program is standard-conforming, and if it's not, then you're just asking for trouble, when you have the alternate of being guaranteed that trouble not exist.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by CTar
I must agree that the *printf functions are ugly, but that is only my opinion and there are nothing wrong with using them, just like there is nothing wrong with programming procedurally in C++.

They're more than just ugly, they're downright dangerous to use. If you look at modern C++ design and programming practices, there is a huge shift towards using facilities that make it nearly impossible to write dangerous code. One great thing about C++ streams over C printf-like statements is that it's a lot harder to make a mistake without the compiler catching it. Plus, C++ streams are extensible and all of that, so not only are they much, much safer, they're much more flexible, too.

Quote:
This is not to say that VC6 is a bad product or your code is bad. Your code is made for VC6 and as long as it stays on that compiler it will most likely not cause any problems. VC6 was released before the standarization of C++, so it had virtually no chance of conforming to the current C++ standard, that doesn't change the fact that it's outdated though.

VC6 -is- a bad product in 2006. We don't live in 1998 anymore, and we should let go of the past in favor of making programs safer and easier to write. There's virtually no reason for anybody to be using VC6 anymore, especially for writing new code.
Quote:Original post by RDragon1
They're more than just ugly, they're downright dangerous to use. If you look at modern C++ design and programming practices, there is a huge shift towards using facilities that make it nearly impossible to write dangerous code. One great thing about C++ streams over C printf-like statements is that it's a lot harder to make a mistake without the compiler catching it. Plus, C++ streams are extensible and all of that, so not only are they much, much safer, they're much more flexible, too.

I agree, they are in-secure, in many cases in-efficient, not type-safe etc., but they are not wrong to use, I would also suggest streams.

Quote:
Quote:
This is not to say that VC6 is a bad product or your code is bad. Your code is made for VC6 and as long as it stays on that compiler it will most likely not cause any problems. VC6 was released before the standarization of C++, so it had virtually no chance of conforming to the current C++ standard, that doesn't change the fact that it's outdated though.

VC6 -is- a bad product in 2006. We don't live in 1998 anymore, and we should let go of the past in favor of making programs safer and easier to write. There's virtually no reason for anybody to be using VC6 anymore, especially for writing new code.

VC6 is not a bad program for writing the kind of "C++" it supports, neither is it bad for compiling older code. It's bad for writing C++ code though. Noone should start a new project using VC6 today.
Ok ok...

You guys have got me convinced about upgrading my compiler.

If there are free upgrades available out there, then perhaps its time to move on.

But I'm sure some of you will understand the reluctance to move on, when you've gotten used to a particular product over a long time. Hell, it took me some time to get used to VC++6 from an old Borland C++ compiler. And I even have Visual Studio .NET (2004 edition I think), which I didn't like because I felt it had WAY too many unnecessary features.

But yeah... Perhaps it's time to upgrade... I just hope I can still use templates and macros... Even though macros are a right pain in the ass!
Ok ok...

You guys have got me convinced about upgrading my compiler.

If there are free upgrades available out there, then perhaps its time to move on.

But I'm sure some of you will understand the reluctance to move on, when you've gotten used to a particular product over a long time. Hell, it took me some time to get used to VC++6 from an old Borland C++ compiler. And I even have Visual Studio .NET (2004 edition I think), which I didn't like because I felt it had WAY too many unnecessary features.

But yeah... Perhaps it's time to upgrade... I just hope I can still use templates and macros... Even though macros are a right pain in the ass!

Upgrade to VC8 (VS2005) - you can get VC++ Express 2005 for free from microsoft (compiler + IDE). Of course you can still use templates - VC6 is lacking in it's support of templates, and every version since then (7.0, 7.1, 8.0+) has much better standards compliance.
Hehe...

Yeah I've already downloaded and installed VC++ Express 2005 ;-)

I did panic a little at first however, as it didn't appear to come with the Windows API (which I use as a stepping-stone to DX9).

It seems to be a pretty streamlined compiler because I had to manually configure Express to access the API (which I also upgraded today too).

But I'm glad I finally did it! (LOL)

Yes, yes... I'm a stubborn bastard! :-)

Anyway, thanks for the kick in the ass!!!
Anyway, thanks for the kick in the ass!!!

Anytime [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement