Sign in to follow this  

Gameprogramming - Where to begin?

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! A few weeks ago I started a thread (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=381541) where I got some excellent answers and I now started my career as a C++ programmer:P So far I completed Visual C++.NET for dummies (Yep I am a dummie) which pretty much gave some insight in what c++ is, even though most part of the book where about visual c++.NET (wierd, huh?). After that Ive been reading Beginning c++ Game Programming pretty much halfways, I read some of the pointers given in C++ Coding Standards. Also I started to read C++ Primer, which by the way could use some more coding examples. I feel that I sofar learned at least something. I got the hang of variables, if-statements, for/while loops, arrays, pointers, vectors and everything else I been reading so far (since it is pretty much repeating itself when Im reading 3 basic books). I havn´t done many projects so far, the books didn't contain that much of examples. Only did 1 projects so far without templates, a calculator. So, now I were thinking of creating some kind of small game. The guides here tell me to start out with something like tetris. Though, none of the books I own contains any info about graphics. Every single program I have created is running in that "dos-alike" window. So, when Im done with C++ Primer I am thinking of moving on to some book about creating graphics. Even If the graphics only is a window with some other color than black and grey. I was thinking of creating some sort of textbased rpg as a first game, where there is a console window that tells whats happening, another window where it is possible to switch between character, stats and inventory, a hp and armor bar and the a small square which will display some kind of image depending on what happens. If Im fighting a skeleton, there shall be a skeleton. So what I am asking for is, books that cover simple design, and how to get different windows to display different stuff. Though, even though I havnt found anything about, you might know if there is anything in my books I could get use of. The books I have so far: C++ Programming Beginning C++ Game Programming Vissual C++.Net for dummies C++ Primer C++ Coding Standards C++ Template Metaprogramming The C++ Standard Library And here is a list what I want to learn in the next books I order: Creating windows, displaying different values in different boxes Simple graphics including using the Draw system 2d Animating Saving data to files and the reloading them What kind of variables and like is used when creating games Im putting I way an order for some books about advanced C++ tomorrow (hopefully) and would appreciate If I hade som answers by then, so I could get the other books in the same order. Also, if you know any good online-tutorials about it, please post them, even though I prefer books. Thanks

Quote:

I havn´t done many projects so far, the books didn't contain that much of examples. Only did 1 projects so far without templates, a calculator.

Do more. Practise is important for any skill like programming.

Quote:

And here is a list what I want to learn in the next books I order:
Creating windows, displaying different values in different boxes
Simple graphics including using the Draw system
2d Animating

I would recommend you look into using a library such as SDL. Its very easy to use and works a treat for 2d games. Its so simple you probably won't need to read a book on it(provided you know you're pointers and functions quite well ). There are many tutorials available, I've heard great praise of our own Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials.

Quote:

Saving data to files and the reloading them

Standard c++ file I/O can do this.

Quote:

What kind of variables and like is used when creating games

Not too sure what you are asking there.

Well, for Variables, many kinds are used.
Some people create custom variables and objects to serve their needs.
Basically the kind of Varibles that you use depends on what you need to do/store/change/load/save/display/etc.

I probably use the varibles int and bool the most.
I use the objects vector and string most.
STL has many kinds of "containers" and other usefull things.
Pointer and such are used in game developement, as well as

Dwords
Floats
Matrices
Handles
Structs
and much more.

1st poster>>What I were asking was pretty much about a book that tells about general game-programming functions used. Example.

When creating a game, should a use different INTs for different values, or should I use some kind of array or something that can store many elements and then loading from the different elemenents. What, why? Good sides about either one of them, and bad sides.
To make a long story short. I want a book that tells me what is used, why it is used and when it is used.

Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Original post by MrSpiceGirl
1st poster>>What I were asking was pretty much about a book that tells about general game-programming functions used. Example.

When creating a game, should a use different INTs for different values, or should I use some kind of array or something that can store many elements and then loading from the different elemenents. What, why? Good sides about either one of them, and bad sides.
To make a long story short. I want a book that tells me what is used, why it is used and when it is used.

Thanks for the replies

You use lots of diffrenty types of variables for diffrent things. Something like the characters health would be an most likely be an int, a variable to know if the player is dead would probally be a bool. If you just read through the books and do all the samples you have you should know what is used, why and when. And for graphics, after you read these books look into something like SDL (There are many other graphics libraries, but I would look into graphics after you can program in C++).

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.