How different is DX10 vs DX9?

Started by
24 comments, last by Monder 18 years ago
I haven't coded DX yet. I am looking into it. I know DX10 is coming out soon. So if I learn DX9 would that be a waste of time? Or should I wait and learn DX10? I thought I heard DX10 was going to dump old code and start fresh? Looking for some info on what is truth and rumor. Thanks
Advertisement
DirectX 10 will completly drop support for the fixed function pipeline. This means that everything will need to be done using the programmable pipeline (shaders). Vista + DirectX 10 + DirectX 10 Cards = early 2007, DirectX 9 already has support for shaders and it will be similer to how 10 will work (I assume), I would say it's worth learning 9 until you get your hands on 10.

jollyjeffers (The DirectX Mod here) has been doing some work with DirectX 10, so hopefully he'll be along soon to explain this better then I can. :)
I have no intentions of using FFP coding. So if I was to learn DX9 and used only HLSL I should be fine? What I was wondering about was how DX uses VB or IB to load and render meshes that should stay the same I would assume? Thanks for the reply.
If you download the December or Feburary SDK's, you can use an early preview of D3D10. Docs, headers, libs, tutorials, and samples are included. Unfortunately, you need a Vista CTP to run the apps.

There are also a lot of slide decks on the topic. Here is a recent one from GDC.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
As circlesoft said, if you can get your hands on a copy of Vista, you'll be able to use DirectX 10 now.
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
I haven't coded DX yet. I am looking into it. I know DX10 is coming out soon. So if I learn DX9 would that be a waste of time? Or should I wait and learn DX10?

Learning DX9 now would not be a waste of time. Vista (which is required for DX10) is still a good distance off, and it will take a good year or two before it becomes more common than XP. If you learn DX9 now, you'll be able to make games that will still be usable by many for a while to come. Plus, DX9 will serve as an excellent stepping stone to DX10.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by Smit
As circlesoft said, if you can get your hands on a copy of Vista, you'll be able to use DirectX 10 now.

Well, not exactly. The correct statement would be 'if you can install Vista' [lol] It seems that users are hit-and-miss with actually running the CTPs. This cycle, Jack has had quite a bit more luck than I have hehe

Quote:Original post by programwizard
Learning DX9 now would not be a waste of time. Vista (which is required for DX10) is still a good distance off, and it will take a good year or two before it becomes more common than XP. If you learn DX9 now, you'll be able to make games that will still be usable by many for a while to come. Plus, DX9 will serve as an excellent stepping stone to DX10.

Yea, this is good advice.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Ok, I will ponder it some more. I have a really good footing into OpenGL using 2.0 with GLSL, FBO, VBO's ect... all really advanced extensions. I will use the equivalent functions in DX9 if I go this route. I was wondering has anyone here used the tangent function? I have some .3ds files and would like to use them in DX, but have a feeling I will need to convert them to .X to load them? So if this will work, I am assuming a .X file is acceptable to use to pass into the calculate tangent function in DX. Also can the .x file do animations? This is off topic but with GLSL I can have variables that are sent to the PS from the VS and aren't texture variables. Can HLSL do this or you stuck with using texture coordinate variables to pass information to the PS? Thanks
Quote:I have some .3ds files and would like to use them in DX, but have a feeling I will need to convert them to .X to load them?

Nope. The DirectX SDK provides helper functions for loading X models, but the API isn't tied to the format. You can write your own 3DS model loader (which you might have mostly done in OpenGL).

Quote:Also can the .x file do animations?

Yes, limbed or boned with vertex weights.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
Quote:Original post by Drakex
Quote:I have some .3ds files and would like to use them in DX, but have a feeling I will need to convert them to .X to load them?

Nope. The DirectX SDK provides helper functions for loading X models, but the API isn't tied to the format. You can write your own 3DS model loader (which you might have mostly done in OpenGL).

Quote:Also can the .x file do animations?

Yes, limbed or boned with vertex weights.

Thanks DrakeX I am only interested in animations for units for a RTS game like tanks, planes, buildings ect... I am not animation savy or 3D model savy. So I am assuming with bones it could be done? Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement