Sign in to follow this  
Rain 7

Mac, Tar files

Hello there! I have a small problem. I have a mac and I have a bunch of files I wish to compress into one tar file... What is the best application to get this done? Are there any? Thanks Ryan

I would just use the tar program which comes with OS X. IIRC, you want to do something like:

tar cvf result-file.tar file1 file2 file3 ...

I wasn't aware that Mac came with a tar program. Do you know what the name of that application is perchance?

Quote:
Original post by Rain 7
I wasn't aware that Mac came with a tar program. Do you know what the name of that application is perchance?

tar. I'm was saying to enter that line into the Terminal, by the way. Remember, OS X comes with all of the standard Unix utilities

uh...how do I get the terminal to come up...for that matter what is a terminal and why is it important?

By now you must realize I have no idea whats going on. :)

...Just to help out a bit -- if you want to find the Terminal application, go into Applications and then Utilities, and it should be listed there. Start a new session (if one doesn't pop up once you start the program...) and navigate to where your files are stored using basic *nix syntax (so, cd mydir ... and so on and so forth).

And as for TAR. Yes, OS X kernel is mostly freeBSD modded, so yes, it has TAR -- and if you want to know how to use t (i.e., what do flags 'c' 'v' and 'f' stand for, just type in:

'man tar' and it will bring up the manual page for tar -- alternatively, you can google the manual page and probably get the same sort of thing :)

~Shiny.

p.s. -- the Terminal is a text-only command line that lets you access higher functions in OS X. It might be worth checking out introductory unix navigation tutorial before you try to use it -- it's not hard to use, but it's not user friendly either.

Quote:
Original post by Shiny
...Just to help out a bit -- if you want to find the Terminal application, go into Applications and then Utilities, and it should be listed there. Start a new session (if one doesn't pop up once you start the program...) and navigate to where your files are stored using basic *nix syntax (so, cd mydir ... and so on and so forth).

And as for TAR. Yes, OS X kernel is mostly freeBSD modded, so yes, it has TAR -- and if you want to know how to use t (i.e., what do flags 'c' 'v' and 'f' stand for, just type in:

'man tar' and it will bring up the manual page for tar -- alternatively, you can google the manual page and probably get the same sort of thing :)

~Shiny.

p.s. -- the Terminal is a text-only command line that lets you access higher functions in OS X. It might be worth checking out introductory unix navigation tutorial before you try to use it -- it's not hard to use, but it's not user friendly either.

Thank you. I appreciate the info very much.

Ryan

Quote:
Original post by Rain 7
Nevermind. I just went ahead and archived it and it seems to be working okay.

Thanks a lot!

Ryan

You should still learn about the Terminal. It's very important, especially for programmers and power users.

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Rain 7
Nevermind. I just went ahead and archived it and it seems to be working okay.

Thanks a lot!

Ryan

You should still learn about the Terminal. It's very important, especially for programmers and power users.

I will do that. Even though I am just a lowly musician, it probably would still come in handy ;)

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Ryan