Here be some Sprites

Started by
5 comments, last by destron 18 years ago
Hello! I'm hobbyist artist working with Sir Sapo, and I was looking around my old files for our game Angels 20(which now proudly sits in the showcase) and found a bunch of 128 by 128 sprites that we didn't use. I rather liked them and I thought it would be a good idea to give back to the community, so here they are, with a few tanks sprites from a failed project thrown in. EDIT: FIXED FINALLY [AIRPLANE UPDATE] Airplane Sprites.zip [contains a readme] Here's an example of whats in there: The game is now defunct, obviously [smile] Tank Sprites.zip [contains a readme] Example(which I put together relatively poorly back in the day) To make this post not completely purposeless, I'd also like to ask for any feedback you might have, as I someday plan to actually do game art as a career(currently 17, and today was my birthday[grin]), albiet with much more advanced progams and suitably advanced skill, hopefully. Anyway, hope you like 'em, [Edited by - Prinz Eugn on May 28, 2008 2:08:31 AM]

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Advertisement
as far as the tanks go I must say your design is superb

however one caveat I see in your work is you need to research into different outlining techniques, refrain from using black as an outline in your pixel work, just use a darker shade of your base color, near black. Also it would be wise to figure out "selective outlining" which will show a defined light source and make your works feel that much more alive and dynamic.

I also have to comment that on some of your peices you seemed to use a direct gradient shade from one end of the peice to the other without any texture. You should also look at contouring your shading as well as dithering to rough it up a bit. Also, really study how light reacts with an object, and define a light source on your canvas and use it as a reference for shading.

Right now what most of your work has is "pillow shading" Where you simply make the edges of the object dark and work your way to a light shade towards the middle of the object, this would suggest that a light source lie directly between yourself and the object and just feels unnatural.

Also, for your current project, I see you have a lot of space crafts in there, I would suggest really adding surface detail to the objects as these crafts have to take a beating from the harsh climate of space. These ships should have some wear and tear, as well lighting in space is incredibly harsh, I would suggest having very bright highlights and very dark shadows, your spaceships need more contrast
Quote:Original post by Spater

Also, for your current project, I see you have a lot of space crafts in there, I would suggest really adding surface detail to the objects as these crafts have to take a beating from the harsh climate of space. These ships should have some wear and tear, as well lighting in space is incredibly harsh, I would suggest having very bright highlights and very dark shadows, your spaceships need more contrast

I'm not sure about wear+tear, space is pretty empty, I just think it's a more or less traditional thing to give spacecraft some weathering to make them look more realistic, but I'm not sure if I really want to do that.
I'll agree that my constrast is crap on some of my white ships, I need to run those through Corel.

As for your other comments, I think I'm slowly moving away from easy gradients into more complex designs as I get more used to higher-level programs(most of this stuff is MSpaint).

I'll look at other outlining techniques, too, but I think I'm sticking with this one for the most part until this project is finished. Anyway thanks for the comments!

-Mark the Artist

Developer Journal

Nice works,

I was wondering if you would like to join Storm Interactive, we are making a 2D MMO called BattleOnline.

I am awearb that you have a current project underway, and was just wondering if you had any spare time?

You can contact me a tyjotr@aol.com
Thanks
Storm
I feel that the thin black outlines all over the place are what make the art different and interesting. The airplane sprite samples are a little less effective (though still amazing) because they lack it, and work mainly with shades of gray. The tanks (and especially the spaceships) really make the black work. I don't know that anyone considers it the 'correct' method - but who said there was one? If it's effective, it's effective.

Anyways, I'm rather impressed! Keep it up!
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Worldwarx- I sent you a PM a while back, hope you got it

Avatar God- Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to pass off lack of finesse as 'style'

Actually the way do my stuff descends from the way I did it on paper- I did a pencil drawing, inked the outlines, then colored it with colored pencils(my mom is a colored pencil artist, and the proffesional level pencils will make you weep when you have to use the Roseart kind. I also applied an acrylic paint space backround to my ship drawings like this
That one's old and kind of washed out but you should get the idea.

Thanks again!

-Mark the Artist

Developer Journal

the tanks are VERY good. the jets are pretty good, but i would suggest remaking them with a bigger size; they don't look detailed enough.
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement