A better third person camera

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years ago
This may or may not be particularily valid, but what about, in your level editor, creating specific camera positions that the camera can interpolate between. This gives you the added fun of controlling the players view rather deliberately. If you want a particularily cinematic angle for a given room, you can force it upon the player, ala Alone in the Dark.

If you create a significant number of "safe" camera locations, you could precalculate a network of paths that the camera could navigate without colliding or moving through/behind pillars.
Advertisement
Use more than one ray, a cone behaves much better than a single ray, only move the camera if the cone is obscured.
Quote:Original post by Rasmadrak
How bout going Tomb Raider all over the camera? :D

they simply reversed the camera if the player was close enough to the walls, i.e you'd be looking at the main character instead.

This may or may not work, depending on your game thou...

Hehe, that's funny because I was just about to recommend the exact opposite. I guess that kind of cinematic camera effect appeals to some, but I think most players today want more control & options over their camera angles for aiming or getting wide screenies etc. In the end it's just like he said though, it depends on the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement