Learning C, C++ for Text-based Game

Started by
2 comments, last by Kylotan 18 years ago
Hello everyone, I have just registered and I am looking for a little bit of advice concerning the design and implementation of a text-based game in the coding world before I advance forth. I have noted that almost all MUDs (text-based games) are coded in either C, C++ and even I have seem some newer ones in C# (tigermud) and PHP mixed with C#. I would like to take the route of C before moving onto C++ but I am still unsure if this is the best option to take. I haven't coded in any other languages as of yet before but I have been reading code and understand the concepts and structures of how it works. If there are any good tutorial links or book references that may help me learn C, C++ concerning games. Thanks
Advertisement
The For Beginner's FAQ has some good links, and you might want to check out programmingtutorials.com.

Just know that if you learn C as your first language (like I did) you'll have to un-learn bad habbits that don't work well with OOP when you get to C++. If you want to jump right into OO and C++ seems too difficult, you can also look into C#; it's an excellent language for a beginner.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
I would learn C++ from the get-go.

If you know C++, you can code and read C just fine. And it's not as if C++ is that much more difficult than C. It simply has a few more features.
Quote:Original post by mackay6
I have noted that almost all MUDs (text-based games) are coded in either C, C++ and even I have seem some newer ones in C# (tigermud) and PHP mixed with C#. I would like to take the route of C before moving onto C++ but I am still unsure if this is the best option to take. I haven't coded in any other languages as of yet before but I have been reading code and understand the concepts and structures of how it works.

If you want to work from an existing codebase, learn the language that codebase is in. If, on the other hand, you want to write your own codebase, you'd be best advised to forget C or C++ and go for a higher level language like Python, Ruby, Java, C#, etc. They will give you better network and string handling, which are the 2 key things you need in MUD-like games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement