can't use my programs on other machines?

Started by
7 comments, last by stealthgate 18 years ago
When I batch build my apps from VS2005 I've received a "configuration error" on some machines I've attempted to install them on. Does this mean that .NET framwork 2.0 (which was installed alongwith) is required to run this apps? I also attempted to run an app on Win98 and received a missing .dll file, I assume these progs aren't compatible to win 9x period? Is there a special way to batch build? Or is everything fine. One weird thing is that the .NET framwork 2.0 was installed on a machine I tried to run and it still wouldn't. Completely lossed. Thanks -stealthgate
Advertisement
I had the same problem, it was caused by the MSVC runtime libraries, msvcr80.dll. These libraries are installed with visual C++ express. There may be some redistributable package on msdn, or you can just try to copy the dlls to your program's directory.
use the following link if ms hasn't posted redistributable runtimes yet.

Running C++ application built by VC++ Express on another computer

and no, you can't just copy the runtimes to the program directory.

is this in a faq or can we add it to one? [grin]
This space for rent.
I'm not using c++ express, I have visual studio and assume the "fuller" version is being used. Is there a less complicated way of having it able to be executed?
I found out that I needed runtimes after all, however I found them here:

http://faux.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/vcredist/

Thanks again you guys!
Try static linking, this is what I did.

In Project -> Properties -> C++ -> Code Generation, I believe.

Change the Runtime library to /MT instead of /MD.

No, it's not the best practice, but it works well, and builds a library-independent executable, to the best of my knowledge.
--== discman1028 ==--
Quote:Original post by stealthgate
I'm not using c++ express, I have visual studio and assume the "fuller" version is being used. Is there a less complicated way of having it able to be executed?

if you're not using the express version then you already have the redistributables, but i don't remember which directory they're in. i'm still waiting for my copy of visual studio to come in the mail. [grin]
This space for rent.
Quote:Original post by stealthgate
I found out that I needed runtimes after all, however I found them here:

http://faux.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/vcredist/

Thanks again you guys!

What are the chances, eh? You happened to find the files on the compsoc website of my very own university :)
Quote:Original post by hymerman
What are the chances, eh? You happened to find the files on the compsoc website of my very own university :)

nice work, heh?? j/k. thanks again guys, and for the further advice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement