Sign in to follow this  

DX9 SDK and my GFX Card?

This topic is 4276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I have a bit of a problem. It's not too big of a deal, but I thought I'd ask anyhow. I just bought a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. First, I was limited to 16 colors and 640x480/800x600 desktop settings. I downloaded the latest drivers, and everything has been fine. I can play Quake III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, NHL 2004, and SWAT 3 at FULL detail. So everything's good there. Well, when I create a simple application (for example, the SDK's tutorial for drawing primitives using VB's) it runs just fine. But if I run the SDK's samples, the application starts, and soon after that my computer restarts. Even some of the simple examples. But I can do the same thing myself and I run into no problems whatsoever. Does anyone know what may be causing this? My dad has a GeForce FX 5500 in his machine, and the DX8 (and 9) SDK samples did the same thing to his computer (2.8GHz, WinXP Pro SP2). Mine is: Pentium III 733MHz Windows 2000 Pro SP4 GeForce FX 5200 (Of course, =P) Thanks in advance, Matt U.

Goto control pannel -> System -> Advanced tab and click, "Settings" button for "Startup and recovery", and uncheck the "Automatically restart" checkbox. That should give you a Blue Screen Of Death the next time it crashes, and you can get some (slightly) more helpful messages there. The first few lines are the only relevant ones.

I can't really think of anything that would cause this, aside from an under-powered PSU. But then that'd probably cause the system not to work at all...

This topic is 4276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.