Sign in to follow this  

Erase Text in a File

This topic is 4276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In C#, can you erase all the text from a txt file? Also, I'm currently saving the highscores in my game to a text file, but I've notice that with most games, saves are saved to a file that isn't a txt file. It's like a binary file or something... all I know is, if you open it in a notepad, it just shows a bunch of symbols and junk, lol. Anyways, how do you save scores into a file like that?

Erase all of the text from a text file... or in fact, erasing everything from an existing file:

If you just want to empty the file and don't care about dangling sectors on the hard drive, just open the file for CreateNew and then close it.

If you want to make sure that nobody can recover the data from leftovers on the hard drive, open the file for existing reading and writing, get the file length, then write new string(' ', fileLen); to it, then close it.

If you want to write binary to a file, look at the classes "BinaryWriter" and "BinaryReader". Those classes piggy-back on top of a FileStream (or in fact any other Stream) and let you say things like "ReadInt32();" or "Write(value);" in binary form in a file.

It'll be easy to find out.

* Look for a game on your computer.
* COPY to some other directory a save file (it usually has either a character name or a time as the title)
(I only know how to do this on windows)
* Open up Windows Explorer and under "Tools" click "Folder Options...".
* Go into "View" and make sure "Hide file extensions for known types" isn't checked.
* Get your COPIED save file and right click and "Rename"
* Change the extension to *.txt
* Open the file

If its a bunch of squares with random letters then its binary.

Although if you can't be bothered finding out, I recon most game save files will be because otherwise it would be easy to open and edit your characters level and such.

An easier way.

* Download Hex Editor
* Open save file

If it looks like gibberish it could also be encrypted, I mean you have to store the name and score somehow.

This topic is 4276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.