Sign in to follow this  

Questions about SDL, True Type fonts and patents

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got a question about SDL True Type Font. I understand that FreeType font version 2.0 is not affected by the patents by Apple and that SDL_ttf version 2.0 uses FreeType version 2.0 or greater. I'm just trying to make sure that I can use SDL_ttf in commercial applications while not affecting patents. It seems like it is totally fine to use, am I right? From http://freetype.sourceforge.net/patents.html Is FreeType 2 Affected by the Patents? The answer is no for any recent build of FreeType 2, since it comes with an ‘auto-hinting’ module that was specifically designed to completely ignore the TrueType bytecode instructions. However, the source code for the bytecode interpreter is still available and can be toggled on at compile time, for those that want to use it anyway (because they purchased a license from Apple, or because they are in a country where the patents do not apply, etc.). For details please check the documentation that comes with your FreeType source package (it normally involves changing one configuration macro).

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.