3D object to isometric

Started by
6 comments, last by starfleetrp 18 years ago
Hi, I have a few 3D objects that I would like to use in my program. However I am not sure how I could make them work in an isometric world. I am not sure how I would do this but I would assume that I would have to render them off scence to an image. However durring rendering I would have to make it look as if it was a birdy eye view, looking 60 degrees down and it would also have to rotate in 18 direction (easy, i think). However if I can figure this out, how can I do it for different sized models, that would appear in the same scale in the isometric scene as the 3D model would? Would there be a better way to do this, and I would really appriciate some help into the way I could accomplish this! EDIT: Im using OpenGL [Edited by - starfleetrp on April 3, 2006 9:35:15 PM]
Advertisement
Since i'm early in the development process, would it be better to use DirectX to accomplish this, since it appears that no one know how to do it in OpenGL.
An isometric projection is still a fully 3D envionment and the camera can view along any vector in that environment - you are not restricted to the three principal axes. So simply set your camera appropriately and render just as you would for a perspective projection.

Σnigma
Yeah, just set the projection matrix to isometric/ortho and set the camera position then render as usually.

[Edited by - Calin on April 5, 2006 10:50:51 AM]

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

also, translating to your desired isometric viewpoint should work for the scale of either model, unless each model was created with different "units."
Ok, btw how would I do this, would this be for directx and opengl or just one? What I mean is I thought that if you give any object a z cord in opengl that it just disappears, atleast for me. And it also seems like the camera applied no effect on the scence, I had to move the tiles and other objects. How would I apply this? Since I am completely lost...

[Edited by - starfleetrp on April 5, 2006 6:05:22 PM]
I am not sure how I should be going arround this. Right now I am using 2D to lay out the map tiles, and moving there position according to the offset (move left,right, etc). The sprites at this time ara just simple 2d quads, that are positioned the same way. However I want these items to be 3D but appear as if they are 2D(no perspective). I am using ortho which is done in 2D (i beleive) and the first thing drawn is on the top no matter what.

I however would like to know if there is a better way of doing this whole thing. By using the camera in OpenGL to move arround the scene instead of re-positioning the tiles to appear as if im doing this. I however do not want to use perspective to make them appear to get smaller the further away they go (but i've only been able to do this with ortho which requies me to redraw everything in relation to 0,0 being topleft or bottom left or the screen). I would like to be able to use the Z axis (although this is not nessesary) to give my objects a sence of layering (but with ortho they just dont show up if i use anything but 0z). I would also like to draw my models like this, however I have no idea how I would procede with this? Or even what the best way would be...
I have no idea how I am supposed to do this. Is it even possible, and if not would how I was doing it first be the best way. I would really appreciate some suggestions, whatever they would be, since I am totally lost.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement