Sign in to follow this  
Derakon

Implementing arbitrary dialog boxes

I'm working on an all-purpose 2D sprite-based scripted game engine, and one of the features I want it to have is user-specifiable dialog boxes (where the "user" is someone developing a game that uses my engine). However, I'm no layouts guru, so I'm coming here for advice. I want the dialog boxes to be purely in-game (that is, not making use of OS-specific widgets, but rather drawn as a "sprite" in the game window). What I need is basic text formatting (ideally including word wrap that intelligently handles in-line images), images, buttons, and tables. Here's an image that looks like the kind of thing I want to be able to achieve, taken from the excellent shareware game Escape Velocity: Nova. I thought of finding an open-source HTML renderer and adding it in, but that would significantly bloat the engine, while adding tons of features that I really don't need at all (e.g. executable javascript; I already have a scripting language hooked in!). Does anyone have recommendations for lighter-weight modules that would: 1) accept text input and renders it to an image (or better, SDL_Surface) with the requirements I listed above (text formats, inline images, buttons, tables) and 2) tell me where "actionable" items (e.g. buttons can be clicked on) are located so I can properly handle user input? If not, where should I start researching this kind of thing? I just know that if I try to homebrew something without any background knowledge, the results will be so far from optimal as to be barely usable.

TinyXML could be an option, there is a smaller/better one according to a few others but the name escapes me at this time. This would let you load XML files easily with little code bloat. Now it only solves one of a lot of your issues. I assume you're using SDL as a graphics library. I've never worked with it so the details how how to implement this is beyond me. But a few simple classes and you could be on your way, I've read a few topics like this on these forums so you might want to search them for GUI, interfaces, etc and see if you cannot get some ideas.

Edit: Found this last night, check out the last tutorial/example see if it helps: http://www.walterreid.com/opengl

Hope this helps.

[Edited by - Mike2343 on April 4, 2006 11:38:19 AM]