Is game development possible without being able to program?

Started by
34 comments, last by hawk2k3 18 years ago
The reason I ask is because I do not seem to have the ability to be able to program(and yes it has been tried many times before you start asking if I've tried). The only thing it seems I can do is just do writing of the games stories and world visualization(aka I can write how I percieve the game world). An example is of a MMo I have in mind(not as a beginning project mind you) where I have a timeline set up, how certain elements of the games story come together(mind you it's just being thought out). I doubt that would be good enough for anything. I realize this might be a lost cause, but would like any input if possible on how I can accomplish it.
Advertisement
how badly do you want it. If you want it badly, you'll do whatever it takes to get it.
I'm Singaporen???
OH NOES HE SAID MMO!!!! EVERYONE FLAME HIM!!!

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the only requirement to game development is, hmm, playing video games?

Just my opinion though.
Quote:Original post by G-Irregular
how badly do you want it. If you want it badly, you'll do whatever it takes to get it.

Well...I really want to do, except that I am not able to understand programming and working with 3d (It's part of a disability that I have, very hard for me to explain it).

Xetheriel- what's so bad about MMO as a generic term? Only requirement to game development in playing games? That makes no sense to me
Quote:Original post by Xetheriel
Anyways, I'm pretty sure the only requirement to game development is, hmm, playing video games?

Hmm? You mean, like 'The only requirement to become a forest ranger is, hmm, eating deer'.

I think that behind are the times when the programmers were the only people developing games. I think that there is place in game industry for a person who isn't familiar with programming.

- A person who isn't familiar with programming may have plenty of useful ideas or is able to conduct research for modellers or do level design.

- I know several of people in the game industry who have master's degree in a totally different field than computers or anything related.
Quote:Original post by hawk2k3
Well...I really want to do, except that I am not able to understand programming and working with 3d (It's part of a disability that I have, very hard for me to explain it).

Hmm, it is a disability of sight or hand? Or a mental thing? Anyway, as long as you can type, you can learn to program, I think. There are more people with handicap here working away on their games than you might imagine.
Even if you don't want to get into coding/3D, you can design games, producing design docs and ideas and stuff, and then go find a team in the help wanted forum.

Quote:
Xetheriel- what;s so bad about MMO as a generic term?

The bad thing about MMO is that it is Massive Multiplayer, which requires a bootload of coding, rather deep network knowledge, and Massive content.
So many newbies posted 'Hi I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm gonna make a baddass MMORPG, need team', that many have developed kinda allergic reactions when someone talks 'MMORPG'. Nothing personal. [smile]
You want to create game without programming?
Yes, it is posible, by using program below:

3D Gamemaker
FPS Creator

But they are limited.
DinGY
Yesterday is history.Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift"
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
Quote:Original post by hawk2k3

Hmm, it is a disability of sight or hand? Or a mental thing? Anyway, as long as you can type, you can learn to program, I think. There are more people with handicap here working away on their games than you might imagine.
Even if you don't want to get into coding/3D, you can design games, producing design docs and ideas and stuff, and then go find a team in the help wanted forum.

Quote:
Xetheriel- what's so bad about MMO as a generic term?

The bad thing about MMO is that it is Massive Multiplayer, which requires a bootload of coding, rather deep network knowledge, and Massive content.
So many newbies posted 'Hi I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm gonna make a baddass MMORPG, need team', that many have developed kinda allergic reactions when someone talks 'MMORPG'. Nothing personal. [smile]

First off it's a mental disability ( for example I have a good understandinf of computers in which I can install hardware[and obviously software] know the parts and read about them, but as soon as I try to go as far a programming my brain 'fails to compute'), second of all...I was just using the MMO as an example. I've read about what some of the projects are pretty bad starter project(which i believe MMO is #1), but what I have planned in just something I'd like to get to one day be it a year after the first game is made or 5 years and a few games, no harm in planning for the future right?
Hey,

Im starting a MMO, and yes were going fine (core of engine being constructed)

I had no idea what programming involved, i had a very small amount of knowlage in 3D, all you need to do i download truespace 3.2 (google it) and mess around, use tutorials, its easy.

Then come here and either join a team as a designer, or ask for people to join, i recommend you have a complete design document typed up to show people.

OFF TOPIC
if you want, i will post some concept art, and renders here to show how were getting on.

Good Luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement