How to handle the creation of interiors?

Started by
2 comments, last by haphazardlynamed 18 years ago
Okay, so we have walls, polygons witha texture... floors and ceilings, same thing... Doors, walls with holes in them, and a door geometry? + texture.. Stairs... Lots of squares? a 3d model? ??? Thats all I got... The question is, how am I supposed to like, not create these with long sessions of creating polygons and texturing them? Or is an interior just one big 3d model? Like, how do I create rooms and hallways and such, without um... Doing alot of work? lol... And hopefully not having to do alot of work to make it so I don't have to do alot of work... like creating an editor, that is defeating the purpose! Course that may be my only option :\...
Advertisement
everytime i have ever created an interior, its generally been one model.
Models take time. Less time than designing the interior objects(staors, walls, doors, etc) all seperatley. If you do this in say, maya or max, you can also set up collision geometry right there.

Also if youre doing solely interiors and looking for a way to cull, check out cells and portals. My personal favorite way of culling for large interior based levels/games
We have youth, how about a fountain of smart.e4 e5 f4 d5
You might try an interiors editor, like DeleD or GTK Radiant, to get a feel for how they work.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I use a Portal System, where instead of creating individual triangles for each wall, I create Sectors. Each sector is by default a cube with 6 walls, and it can be streched, scaled, skewed, or otherwise modified into other shapes.

So rather than editing walls that enclose space, I edit space that is enclosed by walls.

To avoid the "alot of work... like creating an editor" my game engine itself has an edit mode, where I edit the level in realtime from first person view.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement