Sign in to follow this  

NVIDIA Quadro NVS and directX

This topic is 4272 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I got a "NVIDIA Quadro NVS" graphic card and I cannot create a HAL directX device. Only the REF device is available and even the "caps viewer" from the SDK sees only the REF device. I got the latest driver from NVIDIA and I work in dual screen mode under windows XP. Do I have to configure something else to enable the hal device or is this NVIDIA card incompatible with directX? Thanks.

Is it actually a 3D card? I had a look arround Google, and everything seems to say it's a business solution for having multiple displays; it doesn't seem to say anything about it actually being a "real" 3D card.

Quote:
Original post by Nik02
The NVS cards are specifically designed for professional 2d work - I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't incorporate 3d rasterization hardware.
Based on my above post, and if you're correct - then does that mean "professional OpenGL and DirectX applications" is 2D... implying that 3D is unprofessional?? [lol]

Oh, and I don't think I've ever seen a case where three DirectX MVP's managed to post replies within 4 minutes of each other and within 20 minutes of the original question [grin]

Jack

Try removing all Nvidia drivers from the system before you reinstall, as is recommended. I had some troubles a couple of years ago, when the new driver installer didn't properly clean up after the previous version. This led to a situation where Windows didn't regard the card as a 3d accelerator, and the card-specific property pages didn't work at all. An install of the generic VGA driver, a reboot, and a clean install of the new driver fixed this.

Nevertheless, I think that NVS line is specifically meant to be 2D cards.

The "professional" meaning depends on who they are trying to sell the cards to - stock brokers seldom model 3d stuff or play latest games during work [wink]

This topic is 4272 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.