No degree: possible to get a job?

Started by
20 comments, last by stonepeter 18 years ago
Hello, If I have no degree in CS or any kind of IT degree for that matter, is it, hypothetically, possible to get an IT job provided I have all the necessary knowledge? I'm not talking about any particular kind of job or any particular country, just in theory is it possible? So if I learn everything by myself, create a few freeware projects etc. and then apply, pass a test or something, will I be hired? Thanks!
Advertisement
Anythings possible, though it's probably going to be pretty difficult.
You're gonna have to be able to show them something revolutionary in your initial application to even get them to keep reading past your education credentials..

It is a shame really, I know plenty of bright guys who can rig a pc out of a paperclip and some duct tape :\. Well, not really, but you get my point.

Generally, if they see a null pointer for education history they throw the application out the door, forgive the bad pun.

But, getting to speak with them in person, for some strange stroke of faith, is a different story, you could show them something neat then...

My 2 cents, take it for what its worth :).

Really it is just me trying to justify spending 25,000 dollars for college :).
Probably depends on the company, although from what I've heard from other GD members (some of which who actually hire people for their respective companies) a degree is generally wanted.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Ok, thanks!
Oh, by the way, what about applications (not games)? Is it as strict?

Basically, my point is simple. I wanna programm as a hobby. You know, maybe writing applications, maybe little games, stuff like that. Then maybe, if everything goes well, people will like some of my projects. I mean, I'm content with it being a hobby but if I get good at it, won't it be enough to get a job?
I will soon have a degree, and because my marks are not too good, my employment prospects don't look that great, either.

It's very competitive, I guess. If you've done anything really significant you'll be able to get a job. Contributing to Free Software projects might be a good idea.
Quote:Original post by Huffer
Oh, by the way, what about applications (not games)? Is it as strict?

Basically, my point is simple. I wanna programm as a hobby. You know, maybe writing applications, maybe little games, stuff like that. Then maybe, if everything goes well, people will like some of my projects. I mean, I'm content with it being a hobby but if I get good at it, won't it be enough to get a job?

As I advocate on this board since 2 years, writing application is as hard as writing games. As a consequence, you'd better have a degree.

Some very talented people are spotted before they get a degree - this is rare, and most of the time the company who hire them pays their degree.

Regards,
The most important thing you can do while in college is to take up the internship opportunities. I'm not so certain how many internships are offered to non-college students but I know if you are in college they are practically thrown at you. Good grades in school helps, but if you can show experience in a professional world and have the recommendations to back it up then you will have a much better chance at getting a job.
It's very possible to get an IT job without a degree. Getting a job without a degree comes down to two things:

1. Who you know
2. Your ability to perform

If you're not connected with anyone in your local industry, you will have a very hard time getting a job. No one at an IT firm is going to take your word that you can handle the job. You either have to know someone in the company that can vouch for you, or have something to show them that demonstrates your ability.

It's hard without a degree but honestly, it's not easy with one either. If it's something you want to do I recommend getting active in the industry by attending conferences, events, camps, meetups, etc. in your area. Also you could get established in a company and then try to migrate over to IT after you've shown yourself valuable. IMO, that is the best route to take especially if you don't have a degree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement