My new project: webbased fullscreen DirectX games

Started by
7 comments, last by Smissie 18 years ago
Hi! Me and a friend made a website (over a period of 6 months). http://www.smissie.com (unable to make a link here :s) We decided not to use Flash but develop our own technology: using DirectX through ActiveX. Our games are located in a dll which is loaded by an ActiveX control. The DLL creates its own window above the browser and fires up DirectX. The ActiveX waits until the dll is finished and then does a post data on the browser interface. It allows you to play a game fullscreen fluently even on a Pentium 133mhz, something Flash is not able to do at a decent frame rate. The games are only in 2D but we are working on a Direct3D layer. Currently, only Internet Explorer browsers are supported. I hope you can give it a test run and let me know what you think of it.
Advertisement
Yeah I'll try it out sounds interesting.

EDIT: Tried and it worked fine although I have no idea how to play card games so I couldn't really test any further :) but it all loaded fine and everything was quick and smooth.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
This should really be in 'Your Announcements' [smile]

Are there no security issues with ActiveX - especially when accessing a system level component? I know that they've been the subject of a lot of security clamp-downs lately, and it seems that IE7 is only getting tighter on the use of plugins...

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
This should really be in 'Your Announcements' [smile]

Are there no security issues with ActiveX - especially when accessing a system level component? I know that they've been the subject of a lot of security clamp-downs lately, and it seems that IE7 is only getting tighter on the use of plugins...

Cheers,
Jack

Yes, it is a security issue. If someone uses our activex control in a wrong purpose. That's why Microsoft invented Code Signing Certificates. Our control won't work on another domain/website, only on ours. Microsoft gives Certificate Authorities like VeriSign the responsability of issueing certificates only to websites that they trust.

Only, I think it is not hard to get one for malicious purposes, you can see some certificates in Internet Explorer options that are blocked on default, some are in bought in Microsoft's name so there goes your security.

Anyway, thanks for testing our games, our activex component is 100% safe, don't worry :)
Very spiffy, too bad I don't use IE. Now if you could find someway to emulate that performance without having to use ActiveX to use DirectX - if that's even possible.
That's good stuff. I liked the ComboBox game! Is there any way to do this with the non-(Active-X + DirectX) combo? (i guess that would be Java?)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by PSWind
Very spiffy, too bad I don't use IE. Now if you could find someway to emulate that performance without having to use ActiveX to use DirectX - if that's even possible.

I'm assuming that you use FireFox as browser :) I've tried looking into writing a plugin for FireFox that would do the same as the activex control (this control really is small, it just has to load a dll) but it is really a lot of work.

There is an opensource project about a plugin for FireFox to use ActiveX but it is very unstable and hard to understand. It is made by people who work on the FireFox project so not much chance I could do it better. Maybe one day I'll give it a good try...
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
That's good stuff. I liked the ComboBox game! Is there any way to do this with the non-(Active-X + DirectX) combo? (i guess that would be Java?)

Yeah, you can probably use JOGL (Java bindings for OpenGL) to get fullscreen with Java (I'm not aware of any bindings for D3D, but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere). I'm opening one of their demos now to see, though it looks like its using Java Webstart to execute the application rather than opening it in an applet window.

But then again, if you're running in fullscreen you don't really need the render context to be an applet window, do you? [wink]

I still hate Java, btw.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

I don't know any other way. Java & Flash are pretty much OS/Browser indepedent while DirectX isn't. I'm sure Flash uses some of the DirectX/OpenGl API but it is much more interesting to fully use the DirectX API without any 3rd party software in between( like flash). So I guess ActiveX is the only option here...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement