return values and calling convention

Started by
5 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 18 years ago
Hi, I have an object implemented in a dll, wich is used by the executable. lets call it iobjectmanager. I have this method in the objectmanager: [code\] virtual _stdcall smartptr<object> getObject(const char* name)=0 [\code] And I get errors calling this function when the exe is compiled by VC2005 express, and the dll is compiled by mingw. Do you know if it may be caused by the function returning a complex type.
Advertisement
Different compilers mangle names differently. That means unless you use a non-C++ linkage for your functions, there's a good chance you can't link objects compiled by one compiler and object compiled by another compiler (or even different versions of the same compiler).

One suggestion is to give your function "C" linkage (use extern "C").

You may also run into iter problems, though, such as member alignment in structures.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

could the fact that the .exe is compiled in VC and the .dll compiled in mingw be the problem?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

A little off-topic, but passing pointers across a DLL boundary is A Bad Thing. If your smartptr class deletes the object from within the module it's allocated, then all is well.

Also, since this is a virtual function, I presume you're exporting an entire class. Exporting classes is a very compiler-specific thing, so you're likely going to have to compile the exe and dll with the same compiler.
What kind of error? At run-time or at compile-time?
Thank you for your answers. I will explain in detail how my system work. I use abstract (pure virtual) classes. the object class is something like this:

class iObject
{
public:
virtual _stdcall void incRef()=0;
virtual _stdcall void decRef()=0;
}

my objectmanager is also an abstract class, derived from iObject. My program get a pointer to the objectmanager by calling an extern"C" initialisation function. And my "smart pointer" class is just a pointer, calling incRef and decRef at proper times. The decRef functions, implemented in the dll, free the object. I don't really "export" the class.

The implementation of objectmanager is in the dll, compiled with mingw, and the exe is compiled with visual C++.

The problem arise when a call the getGlobalObject() function of my objectmanager from the exe. I get an access violation somewhere near the end of getGlobalObject's code in the dll. If I return a raw pointer, I don't get the problem. So I guess it comes from how mingw deals with returning objects.

I'm using this system to enable the creation of plugins for my engine, and I would like to be able to create plugins with any c++ compilers.
Quote:Original post by DrakeSlayer
I'm using this system to enable the creation of plugins for my engine, and I would like to be able to create plugins with any c++ compilers.

This has not much to do with how a value is returned by a function.

The C++ standard don't tell the compiler how it should generate the code - this is an implementation defined behaviour. It means that you can't be sure that the code generated by VC will hav the same layout than the code generated by mingw - this is true for the code, and this is also true for the data layout. The more complex the object is, the more difference you'll have. As a consequence, you can't mix C++ code that has been compiled with VC and C++ code that has been compiled with mingw.

You have no way to bypass this - unless you use only POD types with known packing and alignement.

Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement