Sign in to follow this  
vetroXL

Help With Local Object Orientation Code

Hi, Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. It doesn't seem to work the way I want. I just want to be able to rotate on the y axis ( YAW ) and the x axis( PITCH ). I'm trying to keep track of my orientation but i still "lose" it after a while, i'm noticing the pitch is the first to go. Thanks void Render() // ... D3DXVECTOR3 right( 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f ); D3DXVECTOR3 up ( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f ); D3DXVECTOR3 look ( 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f ); D3DXMATRIX yRot, xRot; D3DXMatrixRotationAxis( &yRot, &up, y ); // yaw about the up vector D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&look, &look, &yRot); D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&right, &right, &yRot); D3DXMatrixRotationAxis( &xRot, &right, x ); //Pitch about right vector. D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&look, &look, &xRot); D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&up, &up, &xRot); D3DXVec3Normalize(&right, &right); D3DXVec3Normalize(&look, &look); D3DXVec3Normalize(&up, &up); D3DXMATRIX World; D3DXMatrixIdentity( &World ); World._11 = right.x; World._12 = up.x; World._13 = look.x; World._21 = right.y; World._22 = up.y; World._23 = look.y; World._31 = right.z; World._32 = up.z; World._33 = look.z; Device->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &World);

Why not just stick to the simple route:

here's some pseudo code I think should work:
Matrix mat, mat2;
D3DXMatrixRotationX(mat, pitch);
D3DXMatrixRotationY(mat2, yaw);

Matrix matWorld;
D3DXMatrixMultiply(matWorld, pitch, yaw);

Hope this helps. :)

Quote:
Original post by sirob
Why not just stick to the simple route:

here's some pseudo code I think should work:
Matrix mat, mat2;
D3DXMatrixRotationX(mat, pitch);
D3DXMatrixRotationY(mat2, yaw);

Matrix matWorld;
D3DXMatrixMultiply(matWorld, pitch, yaw);

Hope this helps. :)

Hi, Thanks for the reply. However this code loses the orientation of the object. I.E. if you pitch 90deg down then do a yaw, it will look like a roll. I'm trying to avoid this.

right, sorry, I misunderstood :).

If you want the roll and pitch to be in Object space, you'll need to do something of this sort (again, pseudo code):

Matrix matOldWorld;
mat = device->GetTransform(WORLD); // Or, when drawing more than one object, this would need to be
// the World Matrix used with this object in the last frame.

Matrix matRot;
D3DXMatrixRotationY(matRot, yaw); // <-- this is only the difference in yaw for this frame, not the total amount.
Matrix matWorld;
D3DXMatrixMultiply(matWorld, matRot, matOldWorld); // <-- this will yaw;
// Reversing the parameter order for the multiply will switch between object and world space.

You can replace the RotationY with RotationX to perform a pitch, instead.

Hope this helps :).

Hi, thanks again sirob.

I have not tried your second solution. However, after starring(sp) at my code I found my goof. I was transposing my matrix when I shouldn't be. Also I was reseting my vectors.

Thanks again for you help sirob.