Sign in to follow this  
Aerts

resources in exe- a question

I wondered many times about this: if I were to insert all my resources inside my C++ project (thus inside my executable), would this big exe be slower to load than if I were to have a small exe and all resources in a directory?

No. And depending on the number of files, it could even be faster. Only the executable part of an EXE is loaded initially (and not necessarily all of the executable). The reason it may be faster is that loading from a single file is generally faster than loading from multiple files because you don't have to go through the file system to load each resource.

Quote:
Original post by Aerts
But if it is so why aren't all the demanding newest shooters delivered in one big exe?

Because the exe would be about 800 MB. Also, it is probably much harder to compress and exe with resources in it.

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
Quote:
Original post by Aerts
But if it is so why aren't all the demanding newest shooters delivered in one big exe?

Because the exe would be about 800 MB. Also, it is probably much harder to compress and exe with resources in it.

Also, because it would mean that patches and updates to the game would be huge. It's easier to update a small number of 2MB DLL files than a single huge EXE file.