Sign in to follow this  

clear a SDL screen

This topic is 4271 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

even though it may seem easy to find things like this in the docs, its really not that way for some people.
I am one of those some people.

A tip for alot of documentation: don't search for, say, "clear". Instead search for SDL_Surface and see what functions relate to it. That's what I do alot when I don't know what a function would be called.

This is how I do it:

void oth::Window::Clear(int r, int g, int b)
{
SDL_FillRect(SDL_GetVideoSurface(), NULL, SDL_MapRGB(SDL_GetVideoSurface()->format, r,g,b));
}

Quote:
Original post by ontheheap
This is how I do it:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

If by chance that is your current code, I'd like to strongly suggest you store the SDL_Surface* for the main screen in your Window class to avoid the unnecessary overhead calls of calling the SDL_GetVideoSurface twice in one function. That or at least store the result of SDL_GetVideoSurface once in the function and use that. It seems rather minor, but little things such as that go a long way when this function is being called every frame (which there will be at least 60+ calls per second) It adds up fast [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Quote:
Original post by ontheheap
This is how I do it:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

If by chance that is your current code, I'd like to strongly suggest you store the SDL_Surface* for the main screen in your Window class to avoid the unnecessary overhead calls of calling the SDL_GetVideoSurface twice in one function. That or at least store the result of SDL_GetVideoSurface once in the function and use that. It seems rather minor, but little things such as that go a long way when this function is being called every frame (which there will be at least 60+ calls per second) It adds up fast [smile]

Thanks for the tip.

If you're going to be filling the screen, you should do something like this:

// Initialize the screen and keep hold of it (*screen)
SDL_Surface* screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( /* ... */ );

// MAIN LOOP
// Clear the screen buffer
SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, 255); // 255 is Blue, 0 is Black

// Draw all your stuff on the screen
// ... Like your little character guy and all the enemies!

// Output the screen buffer onto the screen and flip the buffer
SDL_Flip(screen);

// END MAIN LOOP

This topic is 4271 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.