Better market: PSP or Windows Mobile?

Started by
4 comments, last by Obscure 18 years ago
As a soon-to-be graduate looking to work on independent games, what's the better marketplace: PSP or Windows Mobile? I realize that PSP requires the licensing, but you can still do homebrew stuff enough to shop it to a publisher that has the license and go from there. WM though you can publish yourself. So what's the better market at this point in time, and going forward?
~WarDekar
Advertisement
Windows Mobile. Why? Well let's see. Porting from Windows Mobile to Windows PC is far easier than PSP to any other API. Also you can go from Windows Mobile -> Windows PC <-> Xbox 360. Granted it'll take some tweaking, but if done right, it'll be well worth it.

So my vote is for da Windows!

PSP.... bleh.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Windows mobile isn't so hot :-P

Heres the issue, millions of pocket pcs are out there.
1st) Majority are in places like walmart, hospitals, and UPS though.
2nd) The Kids who have a PocketPC and actually want to play games on it will just warez your game
3rd) Very few people even consider their PocketPCs gaming devices.
How about WM from a productivity stand point? I realize this is GD.net, but I'm not opposed to developing other software in addition to games. Is the WM market big enough to make this a viable alternative?

And as far as PSP is concerned, is it even realistic to expect to take a complete demo to a publisher looking for funding to improve it into a commercial product?
~WarDekar
http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22854

Read that post ;-) Great PocketPC Dev community!
Quote:Original post by wardekar
And as far as PSP is concerned, is it even realistic to expect to take a complete demo to a publisher looking for funding to improve it into a commercial product?
As a graduate with no proven industry experience, no. Selling original IP is hard even for experienced studios. You would have to have a finished game and it would have to be of a high standard to be considered. As an indie WM is a much better option.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement