Sign in to follow this  
password

SDL program errors

Recently i've read tutorials on how to create games like pong. The thing is that the executable that is provided in the tutorials never work, not even the most of the programs I compile myself. Some programs says they can't find the file MSVCP71D.dll. So I downloaded it, copied it to the system32/ folder aswell the folder where the executable was. It still popped up the same error message, ok totally impossible to do anything in that case, how can I do something when I did what I was supposed to do but it still doesn't work except for ignoring it. Frustruating case #2: This happens more often the more I download SDL programs and the more tutorials I read. I haven't managed to open any of the programs I downloaded because this error. Even the programs I compile myself with no compile or linker errors whatsoever. The thing is that the window disappears as fast as I open the program and writes to a file called strrev.txt if I remember right. In the strrev file, there is a error message like this: (SDL Parachute Deployed). It has happened two times for me, the first time it happened was when I was compiling a loadbmp tutorial, I ignored it that time because I had another source which explained that function with a working example. But now it appears everywhere all the time and is really frustruating. How can I solve these problems, there are no compile or linker errors but I still cannot open the programs because of an error that information about is close to impossible to gain so I don't know how to do anything about it, escpecially not when i'm kind of new to SDL. Really thankful for help, I can post here if you need the source for the pong game that is one of the programs that contains that error. Another useful thing to know may be that for some people the program can work even if it doesn't for another person. I know that because a program posted somewhere on this site did report the same error when I tried to open it, but it worked for some people. ------------------ Edit: The missing dll file error is solved, it was actually two files and got it to work now. But the other problem is still a mystery. [Edited by - password on April 4, 2006 2:49:45 PM]

First off that dll thing is caused by the person compiling in debug mode with VS.NET.

Quote:
Original post by password
Frustruating case #2:
This happens more often the more I download SDL programs and the more tutorials I read. I haven't managed to open any of the programs I downloaded because this error. Even the programs I compile myself with no compile or linker errors whatsoever. The thing is that the window disappears as fast as I open the program and writes to a file called strrev.txt if I remember right. In the strrev file, there is a error message like this: (SDL Parachute Deployed).

It has happened two times for me, the first time it happened was when I was compiling a loadbmp tutorial, I ignored it that time because I had another source which explained that function with a working example. But now it appears everywhere all the time and is really frustruating.

How can I solve these problems, there are no compile or linker errors but I still cannot open the programs because of an error that information about is close to impossible to gain so I don't know how to do anything about it, escpecially not when i'm kind of new to SDL.

Really thankful for help, I can post here if you need the source for the pong game that is one of the programs that contains that error. Another useful thing to know may be that for some people the program can work even if it doesn't for another person. I know that because a program posted somewhere on this site did report the same error when I tried to open it, but it worked for some people.

Segfaults are caused when the program tries to access memory it shouldn't. They typically caused by the fact the a file didn't load correctly. It's usually because by files are in the wrong place.

so when you see:
surface = IMG_Load( "folder/image.png" );

that means if your program is at C:\program, the image has to be at C:\program\folder\image.png