Sign in to follow this  
Danikar

Ok where to now?

I just finished the book Beginning C++ Game Programming. This is basicly the extent of my C++ knowledge. I feel that I have comprehended it pretty well. The thing I need to do know is to know where to go from here. I am planning on starting another book Beginning Game Programming by Michael Morrison. Basicly my question is what kind of books should I be reading? DirectX, Windows API, OpenGL? Or is it kind of just up to me. Any suggestions on where I should go? =) Thanks

it depends on for what system you are planning to code. If you want to code for linux o unix systems, read some books about SDL, or allegro (there are a lot of them in the net), if you want to code for windows, read some books or articles about DirectX, 2D programming, then 3D programming (there are a lot of free articles and tutorials).

You should be reading C++ books. Or perhaps language independant program design or algorithms books if you're feeling abitious.

The vast majority of 'game programming' isn't game specific. Understanding the language you're learning, and good design will help you far more in making games than any graphics API info.

I would recommend going the SDL/OpenGL route, regardless of your target platform. I will never go back to D3D9; it's simply too convoluted, and really is in no useful way more advanced than OpenGL 2.0.

Even then, if you use OpenGL to familiarize yourself with Linear Algebra, the jump to D3D9 will be so much smoother than if you had dove into it first.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by taby
I would recommend going the SDL/OpenGL route, regardless of your target platform. I will never go back to D3D9; it's simply too convoluted, and really is in no useful way more advanced than OpenGL 2.0.

Even then, if you use OpenGL to familiarize yourself with Linear Algebra, the jump to D3D9 will be so much smoother than if you had dove into it first.

Danikar,

What ever you do, ignore posts like this one!!! Do yourself a favor and don't listen to someone that tells you which one to learn (openGL/DirectX/or whatever). Even if they sneak in words like "recommend"... it's garbage. Listen only to those who recognize pros and cons of both. Find out the differences, then choose for yourself.