PLZ help

Started by
2 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 18 years ago
Why doesn't this openAL work! It's almost exactly the same as the sample - the sample works, this doesn't. Its been bugging me for over 3 days now! The PlaySound code works, but openAL part doesn't play the sound for some reason!

#pragma comment(lib, "OpenAL32.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "ALut.lib")

#pragma comment(lib, "winmm.lib")

#include <windows.h>
#include <mmsystem.h>

#include <al/al.h>
#include <al/alc.h>
#include <al/alut.h>

int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)
{
	ALuint iBuffer;
	ALuint iSource;
	ALint state;

alGenBuffers(1, &iBuffer);

ALsizei size, freq;
	ALenum format;
	ALvoid* data;
	ALboolean loop;

alutLoadWAVFile("25shotgun25.wav", &format, &data, &size, &freq, &loop);

alBufferData(iBuffer, format, data, size, freq);
	alutUnloadWAV(format, data, size, freq);

alGenSources(1, &iSource);
	alSourcei(iSource, AL_BUFFER, iBuffer);

MessageBox(0, "alSourcePlay", "Message", MB_OK);

alSourcePlay(iSource);

alGetSourcei(iSource, AL_SOURCE_STATE, &state);

while(state == AL_PLAYING)
	{
		alGetSourcei(iSource, AL_SOURCE_STATE, &state);
	}

MessageBox(0, "PlaySound", "Message", MB_OK);

PlaySound("25shotgun25.wav", NULL, SND_SYNC);

alDeleteSources(1, &iSource);

MessageBox(0, "The End!", "Message", MB_OK);

return 0;
}

BIG thanks to anyone, anyone who can solve this!
A JPEG is worth a thousand and twenty four DWORD's. ;)
Note: Due to vacationing my website will not be updated till late-August. Of course I still have internet, but who wants to program during a vacation?
Advertisement
How does it fail? What do the al... functions return? What debugging have you actually tried?
This is the 4th part of a 4 part debugging scheme I drew - the original openAL comes from my game engine (I was on a roll until this crap!), the 2nd was checking the error codes - nothing comes up, openAL says everything is fine, the 3rd I though my file, "25shotgun25.wav" might be corrupted, so I plugged that name into the samples and it worked just fine. So here I am, the 4th step, testing openAL as a separate system, not distracted by DirectInput or OpenGL.

Now I'm at the point of desperation - I can't think of much more debugging to do. If this fails and I never get it working, my Game Engine is as good as trash.

PS-I'm not the master debugger, so these "steps" may seem a little weird and out of order.
A JPEG is worth a thousand and twenty four DWORD's. ;)
Note: Due to vacationing my website will not be updated till late-August. Of course I still have internet, but who wants to program during a vacation?
1) you should check return codes. They often give you some informations about what's wrong.

2) Since PlaySound works, this is not a path problem, so the problem lies in your openal code - almost exactly the same != the same.

Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement