Need a good DirectX 9 book to start learning with...

Started by
7 comments, last by MARS_999 18 years ago
I am looking into learning DX9 anyone have a good book to learn from. I didn't see much in the resource section on a good DX9 book. Thanks
Advertisement
You can give Beginning Game Programming by John S Harbour a shot. It actually teaches you the DX function calls rather than shoving a custom framework on you (although it does give you one to use), but it uses the outdated Summer 2003 SDK, and the included SDK on the CD stops compiling your code around Chapter 7. You should be good if you look up the syntax for the changed functions though.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Before spending a lot of money on a book that's gonna be outdated in a year or two, have you looked at "Links To Other Resources" section of the FAQ? A lot of those tutorial sites cover more than most books do, and do so with much more clarity. Some ones that stick out:

- Drunken Hyena
- ZBuffer
- Code Sampler
- Andy Pike

These will help you learn from the ground up, all the way through more advanced topics.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank Luna is a great book. This was one of the 3 books related to DX9 programming I own that I actually understood and could follow along. I recommend it very much.

http://www.moon-labs.com/ml_book.htm
Beginning DirectX9 by Wendy Jones was pretty simple and straightforward IMO, and only $30 too. Make sure you get more than one book to suppliments what the others lack. For example I read that book and learn the more advanced stuff like networking, AI, ect from Game Coding Complete. Sometimes I even read that book for the witty comments and useful tips on the sides of the pages.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
If you're looking into Manage DirectX, I recommend, "Managed DirectX 9 Kickstart" by Tom Miller, otherwise, I second the recommendation of "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by Frank D. Luna.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Circlesoft definitely has a great idea. I suggest as well to not spend money on a book right away. Rather look at what you can find online. The wealth of information is truly tremendous.

Take a look at the forum FAQ . It should push you in the right direction.

You might also find some usefull information here.

I hope this helps.
Take care.
I'll third the recommendation for "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by Frank Luna, although if you're going to go this route, I'd suggest waiting till the second edition is out (which should be any time now...). It goes by the title "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach."

As you might guess, it has you learning DirectX with shaders right from the start, as opposed to his first book which focuses on the fixed function pipeline and then has a few chapters on shaders at the end. The new edition is also expanded slightly with more material. See info on it here.
Quote:Original post by Deston
I'll third the recommendation for "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by Frank Luna, although if you're going to go this route, I'd suggest waiting till the second edition is out (which should be any time now...). It goes by the title "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach."

As you might guess, it has you learning DirectX with shaders right from the start, as opposed to his first book which focuses on the fixed function pipeline and then has a few chapters on shaders at the end. The new edition is also expanded slightly with more material. See info on it here.

Hey thanks Deston. I seen that book, but thought it was only for shaders, but looks like that link you sent me might be what I am looking for. I am fairly adv in OpenGL, FBO, VBO's GLSL ect... I have a lot of work done in my terrain engine and for some reason DX is calling me... I only want to use HLSL and vertex buffers to render my game engine. Hopefully this book will be out soon, was supposed to be out March 25... Also has anyone here looked at this book, "Real-Time 3D Terrain Engines Using C++ and DirectX 9" by Greg Snook? Thanks all for the help and I hope to pick up the DX9 API quickly so I can quit bothering you all! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement