(WINAPI) TreeView controls with check boxes on the nodes

Started by
5 comments, last by ShmeeBegek 18 years ago
I am wondering how to set (and get) the check states of the nodes in a TreeView with the TVS_CHECKBOXES style. MSDN suggests the TreeView_SetCheck macro, but for some reason it is not in my headers (must be out of date, I am using VC++ 6). It mentions that failing that, one should just use TVM_SETITEM (or TreeView_SetItem), but I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to do this. I've been fiddling with it for a few days, and I havn't had much luck. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks, ~SPH
AIM ME: aGaBoOgAmOnGeR
Advertisement
Since VC++ 6.0 is about 8 years old it's very possible that your Platform SDK is out of date. If possible, you might want to look into upgrading (for free) to Visual C++ Express.

Back to your problem:
From what I gather from the MSDN you must create your TVITEM in the following way

// Set the stateTVITEM tvi;tvi.mask = TVIF_STATE;tvi.stateMask = TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK;// INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(2) is the checked state// INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(1) is the unchecked state// INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(0) removes the checkbox (no state)tvi.state = INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(2);SendMessage(hwnd_treeview, TVM_SETITEM, 0, (LPARAM)(&TVITEM));

// Get the stateUINT state = SendMessage(hwnd_treeview, TVM_GETITEMSTATE, (WPARAM)htreeitem, TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK);switch (state) {  case INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(0):    // No state    break;  case INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(1):    // Unchecked    break;  case INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(2):    // Checked    break;}
Those macros are actually named TreeView_SetCheckState and TreeView_SetItemState (note the "State" on the end).

Just to help you out, from the latest Platform SDK (VC2005) the TreeView_SetCheckState macro is defined as:
#define TreeView_SetCheckState(hwndTV, hti, fCheck)   TreeView_SetItemState(hwndTV, hti, INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK((fCheck)?2:1), TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK)

This only seems to be available if _WIN32_IE is defined to be greater than or equal to 0x0500 -- however, TreeView_SetItemState is also under that same #define. So if you have TreeView_SetItemState, you should also have TreeView_SetCheckState...
Thank you for the response, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be having any effect. Here is what I have:

TVITEM item;	item.mask=TVIF_STATE;	item.stateMask=TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK;	for(int i=0;i<DEFDEVICE_NLINES;i++)	{		item.hItem = IOItems;		item.state = INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(2);		TreeView_SetItem(treeHandle,&item);	}

Perhaps you can see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks, ~SPH

EDIT: I do not seem to have TreeView_SetItemState either.

No one has any idea on this? Anyone have a working sample source perhaps?

Even though I can't see any difference from my code, I have also tried directly pasting in what was posted as an example for me:

// Set the state	TVITEM tvi;	tvi.hItem = IOItems[0];	tvi.mask = TVIF_STATE;	tvi.stateMask = TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK;	// INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(2) is the checked state	// INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(1) is the unchecked state	// INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(0) removes the checkbox (no state)	tvi.state = INDEXTOSTATEIMAGEMASK(2);	SendMessage(treeHandle, TVM_SETITEM, 0, (LPARAM)(&tvi));

But to no avail...

Thanks for any suggestions/examples, ~SPH

I think this is a bug in the API.. not sure though, but I had problems until I saw code at this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_mfc_ctreectrl.3a3a.setcheck.asp

Notice the lines:
mTree.Modifystyle( TVS_CHECKBOXES, 0 );
mTree.Modifystyle( 0, TVS_CHECKBOXES );

so, I did this:
DWORD style = GetWindowLong(m_ControlHandle,GWL_style);
style ^= TVS_CHECKBOXES;
SetWindowLong(m_ControlHandle,GWL_style, style);
style |= TVS_CHECKBOXES;
SetWindowLong(m_ControlHandle,GWL_style, style);

That seemed to do the trick for me... try it out... otherwise, checkboxes weren't being set by the normal commands.

Jeff.

I found the problem, I had a bug somewhere else that was making the IOLines array contain invalid values. You've all been a great help though, in procuring the original method.

Thanks for your help, ~SPH

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement