Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Point lists in D3D8 (Using DrawPrimitiveUP)?

This topic is 6157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have almost completed my 2d-with-D3D engine, and I realized a had nice support for surfaces, fonts, and backgrounds but (doh!) no pixel plotting or line drawing! *SLAP* So I figure I sould use point and line lists, since they are faster than direct manipulation of the bits (right???) And I figure to use DrawPrimitiveUP (DrawPrimitive w/o vertex buffers), because the number of points/lines I want to draw varies per frame, and I don''t want to recreate the vertex buffer each frame, or set a maximum limit & waste memory. So I get a nice system where each call to DrawPixel/DrawLine pushes a vertex (or two vertices) onto their respective vector<>s. Cool, right? But when I go to draw them, only the lines work out. Yuck! No points in a 2D engine??? I think it may have to do with the new "point sprite" thing in D3D8. That''s great, but I just want a little pixel! BTW, the lines work beautifully. Color blending from each point, alpha blending, EZ and FUN!! Maybe I should just manipulate the bits? All this pushing onto vector<>s, etc. must be less efficient than just a simple memory write... Don''t you think? Any help would be nice... Example code even nicer ... -Domenic- Geek^n