• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CastorX

Texture Compression Question

This topic is 4461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HY! How can I use texture compression in D3D9? Is it really slow? And what is the average compression ratio? Can I use it with mipmapping? Bye!

Advertisement
To use compression you should use DXT1-5 formats. You can save DXT files from PhotoShop for example with a DDS plugin. DDS is the file extension and stands for "direct draw surface" so DDS file can contain compressed and uncompressed textures.

To create a texture from DDS file, there is a function named something like D3DXCreateTextureFromFile(...).

A DDS file may contain mipmaps if desired. The compression ratio is constant 1:4 or 1:6.

The DX docs describe the compression method exactly. It's fixed compression, with 4 bits per pixel for no alpha or 1 bit alpha (DXT1) or 8 bits per pixel for more accurate alpha (the other DXTs). The compression ratio therefore depends on the original representation. The x6 and x4 values are RGB8->DXT1 and RGBA8->DXT2-5.

Texture compression is slow to create, which is why it's normally created offline. As Demus79 said, you can use a Photoshop plugin. You can also use the DX Texture Tool that comes with the SDK to convert images.

In use DXT textures are faster than non-compressed ones because they're less bandwidth intensive.

Ok, but how can I create a compressed texture form a jpg file in the vido memory? Wich parameteres shall I use in the D3DXCreteTextureFromFileEx(...) to create compressed texture in memory? I couldn't find any sample in the dxsdk.

Create the texture *outside* your program. Use DDS files instead of JPG ones.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!