• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Switch speed

This topic is 4403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi As part of a function which is executed very many times I have a switch statement that will act based on the closed set of inputs S. S={0,1,2,3,4}; I know that the default can never be reached. Is there anything I can do to speed execution without writing jump tables myself? Is there any intrinsic or anything to tell the compiler that it can't happen? cheers

Advertisement
I doubt you could improve on the efficieny of a compiler interpreting a switch statement without writing assembly, and even then it would be going some.

Why would a default case affect the speed?

Quote:
Original post by lincsimp
Hi
As part of a function which is executed very many times I have a switch statement that will act based on the closed set of inputs S.

S={0,1,2,3,4};

I know that the default can never be reached. Is there anything I can do to speed execution without writing jump tables myself? Is there any intrinsic or anything to tell the compiler that it can't happen?
Just don't include a "default" clause.

If you know the relative probabilities of the cases in advance, you could arrange them so that the most probable ones are handled early in the statement. However, this is micro-optimization and it will most likely not affect your application's performance noticeably - thus, you'd just do extra work and gain effectively nothing.

If the switch statement is decently compiled, the order of the cases shouldn't affect the speed. To my understanding, this is why you can only switch on integral types, so a jump table can be created that can be accessed in linear time.

Quote:
Original post by Nik02
If you know the relative probabilities of the cases in advance, you could arrange them so that the most probable ones are handled early in the statement. However, this is micro-optimization and it will most likely not affect your application's performance noticeably - thus, you'd just do extra work and gain effectively nothing.

Your compiler can [and in the case of VC++, will] reorder case statements at will. So you won't gain effectively nothing, you will gain actually nothing.

CM

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
If the switch statement is decently compiled, the order of the cases shouldn't affect the speed. To my understanding, this is why you can only switch on integral types, so a jump table can be created that can be accessed in linear time.

Only if the cases are sequential, ie. { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 }, rather then just any old numbers.

Actually, a compiler could probably hack any old switch statement into a jump table if it was so inclined, but that's another story [grin]

Quote:
Original post by lincsimp
Is there anything I can do to speed execution without writing jump tables myself? Is there any intrinsic or anything to tell the compiler that it can't happen?

Use profile guided compilation, that is what it is good for.

Switch(){} statements over high-range types (anything except enum and bool) resolve into conditional binary search trees (hence the arbitrary reordering of your case statements - not quite arbitrary), even if the number of cases is as low as you have.

Given that it is impossible for the value of the input to fall outside the range, you should convert it to an enum. Switch(){} over an enumerator resolves into a jump table, which is much faster (especially on intel chips) than any conditional search.

This came up when I was reviewing the generated code for my particle engine. I found that the tight inner loops ran best with switch(enum){}.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement