How to

Started by
1 comment, last by superpig 18 years ago
Ok, but if I create a texture from a JPG file What must I set In the D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(...) or in other functions or render states, wich parameters, and to what? And how much is it slower as the uncompressed textures?
Advertisement
A JPEG file will be uncompressed on loading, as will all other files. Only DDS files with native DXT compression won't be decompressed.
Quote:Original post by ET3D
A JPEG file will be uncompressed on loading, as will all other files. Only DDS files with native DXT compression won't be decompressed.

To expand on this: For a compressed texture to be usable, the video hardware must be able to decompress it. Currently, the only widely supported compressed texture format in hardware is DXT, though individual cards may expose more formats through the fourCC codes.

I don't know of any video hardware with support for JPEG-compressed textures.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement