• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wixner

DXSAS 1.0

This topic is 4550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It's obvious that DXSAS could be a very powerful tool, but why in the seven hells isn't there proper documentation? I've been looking into DXSAS for some days now, and have no idea where to start implement support for DXSAS 1.0 shaders in my engine. I've glanced through MS documentations and the samples on nVidias developersite, but both of'em seems to differ in "standard-ism" D'd be very pleased if someone could hint me where to start implementing DXSAS

Advertisement
hehe, yeah - you're not the first person that I've seen expressing similar sentiments [lol]

Might be a bit late in the day for SAS in D3D9, but given the increased emphasis in D3D10 maybe it'll be a more viable solution in the future..

I've not personally dug into it, but from what I understand the dxviewer tool in the SDK is SAS-Compliant. Have a look at %DXSDK_DIR%\Utilities\Source\DxViewer\ - all the source code is provided. Provided it's in a readable state then it could prove to be a useful (working) reference.

hth
Jack

Hmm. I will take a look at that as soon as I can get my hands on it. I really hope that microsoft and the IHV takes the DXSAS standard seriously so we don't need to bang our heads bloody to the wall when we're writing shader systems...

I love the concept of SAS, so I've got my fingers crossed it'll mature into a nice addition to HLSL/Effects.

Purely speculation on my part, but I think it will feature more rather than less in the future. At it's core SAS is a way of annotating effects so that you can get (in theory) seamless interchanging of effect code, data and configuration.

I'm pretty sure 3DSMax supports SAS, as does FXComposer (not sure about RenderMonkey though) and obviously the final graphics engine / technology should support it. That's near enough the full length of the production pipeline. Conveniently that's also not far off the XNA goals of unifying/simplifying the production and content creation pipeline [wink]

Given that the real drive for XNA is only just beginning (see GDC'06 announcements), I'd expect a lot more to come.

Cheers,
Jack

Ohyeah, the concept of using shaders that has been used during the creation of the environment in my own engine is the main reason I can't finish anything ;P.

If we just could get a cross-platform unified shader-language I'd be soooo happy :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
FXComposer uses DXSAS v0.85
3DSMax uses a subset of v0.85

Since then Microsoft worked hard to clean up and simplify the spec which we see used today in DXViewer and their Maya plugins. (v1.0). This is certainly the easiest to impliment and understand but it lacks the scripting system that existed in the prerelease v0.85. ...I wouldn't be surprised to see tools eventually mix&match v1.00 scene binding and UI with v0.85's scripting

btw Cg lets you work in DX and GL

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!