Triangle picking

Started by
1 comment, last by jmakitalo 18 years ago
Hi, I've managed to perform triangle picking with gluProject by projecting the vertices to the window area and then checing these with the mouse coordinates. A problem arises, when any of these points lies beyond the window region. In this scenario I'm not able to pick a triangle even though it is partially visible. So the only way to handle this situation afaik is to unproject the mouse point and then do a line-triangle intersection test. I've tried to use gluUnproject to unproject the mouse position and then make a line by adding the camera direction to this point, but then i realized it can't be done this way. The line will just extend nearly from the centre of the screen. I hope you understand what I'm trying to achieve here, any help is welcome.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jmakitalo
I've tried to use gluUnproject to unproject the mouse position and then make a line by adding the camera direction to this point, but then i realized it can't be done this way. The line will just extend nearly from the centre of the screen.
That's close, what you need instead of a ray from the mouse position in the same direction as the camera is a ray from the camera that goes through the mouse position. You do something like this...
// (winx, winy) is the position of the mouse in window coordinates// this will get the position of the mouse at the near plane (winz=0)// it doesn't really matter what you use for winz since the ray will go through any (every) point gluUnproject(winx, winy, 0.0, model, proj, view, &mousePos.x, &mousePos.y, &mousePos.z);// Origin of the ray is just the camera positionVec3 rayOrigin = camPos;// Direction of the ray is the vector from the camera position to the mouse positionVec3 rayDirection = mousePos - camPos;
Now you can use that ray in your ray-<whatever> intersection test.
Thanks, it did the trick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement