• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
XoreDevelopment

More Efficient Way?

This topic is 4577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to draw lines in D3D9 with a custom width and height. Here is what I'm currently using: void FillRGBA(float x, float y, float w, float h, int r, int g, int b, int a) { D3DXVECTOR2 vLine[2]; ID3DXLine *pLine; pLine->SetWidth( w ); pLine->SetAntialias( false ); pLine->SetGLLines( true ); vLine[0].x = x + w/2; vLine[0].y = y; vLine[1].x = x + w/2; vLine[1].y = y + h; pLine->Begin( ); pLine->Draw( vLine, 2, D3DCOLOR_RGBA( r, g, b, a ) ); pLine->End( ); } I know there is a better way that causes less Frame Lag. I just can't figure out how I could do it. I would reallllyyy appreciate it if someone could help! :-)

Advertisement
ID3DXLine, from what I'm reading on MSDN is a wrapper which renders using textured triangle primitives. I don't see why it would be slow.

The problem, then, is probably somewhere in your code - how often are you calling D3DXCreateLine? Are you calling your FillRGBA function every pass?

I'm not sure how ID3DXLine handles lots of lines, but I have a feeling you might get better performance (with a lot of lines) by just using triangle lists and shoving them all into one big vertex buffer. This would reduce all your drawing calls to a single call.

Additionally, if the lines are static, then you only need to be rendering them every pass - not creating them or setting positions. This is where I'm assuming your bottleneck is - if you spend time tinkering with them every pass you're going to waste cycles.

Finally, you may want to re-address your need for variable-width lines.

Agreed. Anything drawn one by one will be slow. You don't draw your meshes by making a drawing call for each triangle, and you shouldn't draw your lines one by one, either. Begin() and End() are there to put a bunch of lines between them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!