• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

VC6 Debugger Question

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Trying to figure out why the program keep crashing and figuring how how debugger works at the same time. When it crashes this is the line it stops on. What does the little character in quotes mean?

Advertisement
I wrote up a test app to see what was going on -
int main ( int argc, char* argv ) {

char* foo = (char*) 83;
// foo = 0x00000083 ""

char bar = 83;
foo = &bar;
// foo = 0x0012FF44 "UIIIDy|"

char* rah = foo + sizeof(char);
// rah = 0x0012FF45 "IIIDy|"

return 0;
}

I could only get that tooltip text with char*'s. From the looks of it, the stuff displayed is an interpretation of the data the pointer is pointing to. For example, if you had

char* arr = "Arr!\n";

Then the tooltip text would be "Arr!". They probably added in this functionality for exactly this reason - because strings, in C, are represented by an array of characters. So the debugger will show you both the value of the pointer (of a char*) and the textual representation of the data it points to.

I can't really make any presumptions about what types you're using, though. I was only able to get the tooltip text with a char*, though I'd assume the debugger would attempt to display it for any texty-looking variables.

Hope that helped some. MSVC6 is weeeeiirrd :P

walker is an unsigned char pointer to buffer that is holding data when building a model. The wf() is a pointer to pointer macro to typedef so it can be assigned the value.

If I comment out parts of code in other sections it will crash at a later point, but its always when writing to walker. Before it crashes I get 0x00005 Access Violation then ploped to that point. Maybe its a buffer overrun or something? Was wondering if that character was some kind of debugger error because the number was to large.

if you post a bit more code maybe someone will see the problem

[edit]
Realized I had posted some info that was already explained

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement