using NVPerfHUD when rendering to a texture

Started by
5 comments, last by supersonicstar 18 years ago
My program renders many passes to a A16G16B16R16F texture with alpha blending. Now I'd like to analyse its performance and observe the video memory usage. It seems that NVPerfHUD dose not work when rendering to a texture. If I change the render target to A8R8G8B8 screen, NVPerfHUD works fine. Anyone have some ideas? Thanks!
Advertisement
Hi Supersonicstar,
I can't help with NVPerfHUD (Nvidia utility - Nvidia cards only?)
Have you tried using the DX SDK profiling utility, PIX?

Maybe you will have better results from that.

To be honest, I haven't used PIX myself yet, so I couldn't tell you how to set it up to obtain the information you require.

Maybe someone with experience of using PIX could give you the details.

HTH,
Cambo_frog
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
Quote:Original post by supersonicstar
My program renders many passes to a A16G16B16R16F texture with alpha blending. Now I'd like to analyse its performance and observe the video memory usage.

It seems that NVPerfHUD dose not work when rendering to a texture.
I've used NVPerfHUD several times on my prog, which is rendering to textures heavily. However, I didn't try floating point textures with it ever.
Grab the new beta4 version, maybe it is better for you - if nothing helps, drop nvidia a mial, they're likely to respond very fast!

BTW: whet do you mean "does not work"? Does it crash?

kp

------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!
Thank you Cambofrog, I will try PIX.

Yes, NVPerfHUD supports Nvidia cards only.
Hi kovacsp,thank you.

Because all my program to do is to render to a texture, and finaly save it as a file, I did not use the function present. After I drag my program to NVPerfHUD, my program start to run, but the screen is black. After I press hotkey Ctrl+Z, nothing happens, and the screen is still black.

If I use the function present, there are random values presented on the screen, but still no performance information on the screen.
Quote:Original post by supersonicstar
Hi kovacsp,thank you.

Because all my program to do is to render to a texture, and finaly save it as a file, I did not use the function present. After I drag my program to NVPerfHUD, my program start to run, but the screen is black. After I press hotkey Ctrl+Z, nothing happens, and the screen is still black.

If I use the function present, there are random values presented on the screen, but still no performance information on the screen.
Well, cannot you just render to the screen instead of a texture? (I know its FP texture you're rendering to, but just give it a try). Or maybe if you'd tone map the resulting texture to the screen, then maybe it would work. Just guessing :)

kp
------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!
Thank you, good idea. I will have a try.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement