MUD programming

Started by
2 comments, last by NBProg 23 years, 2 months ago
This is a general question so I''ll try to be a bit more specific. First off, how would one going about programming a MUD? I can easily make a program using iostream that makes a single player game of the same nature, but how do you go about making one that reads map data(in .dat or something else?) and client/server features? Would you be using Winsock clients or something else? I don''t know much about multiplayer programming and any tutorials or tips would be great. Thanks
Advertisement
I would start by dissecting some source code. If I remember correctly there is a free package here (mud source), that I got to compile. It''s just a place to start

Prairie
As far as code bases go, I had good experience using Merc and ROM derivitives. In the code, most MUDs that I''ve seen use C, not C++ which means that you''ll ahve to delve into the wonderful world of standard IO. However, ROM has a descent number of commands that almost let you ignore that fact, such as send_to_char.
You can download the circle mud source at http://www.circlemud.org/
which is a more combat based mud.

basiaclly a mud is a kind of telnet server that excepts client and display info to them. So there is a bit of socket coding for accepting telent sessions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement