• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shock

Freetype help ( problem positioning characters ) [C++]

This topic is 4609 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heya all, I have got freetype to generate characters for me. I then take the character data and copy them to a single texture. I am padding every character to make its width and height the closest power of 2. e.g 32x32. My problem is the way the characters get drawn. I know I am supposed to offset my start copy/draw positions. What I don't know is where I get these values from. The image below shows my problem. Image Link As you can see characters overlap and some are vertically positioned wrong. How can I solve this problem? Thanks

Advertisement
Here's another image that shows what I actually generate.

As you can see, my only problem is that I need to offset certain characters into their correct positions.

I looked at the documentation and NeHe's tutorial #43. He does some weird translating in order to get the positions right.

He casts each glyph to an FT_BitmapGlyph to get two positions, left and top.

The freetype docs say:

Quote:

left

The left-side bearing, i.e., the horizontal distance from the current pen position to the left border of the glyph bitmap.

The top-side bearing, i.e., the vertical distance from the current pen position to the top border of the glyph bitmap. This distance is positive for upwards-y!

Then theres some other the 'advance vector' from the generated glyph character itself ( FTGlyph ). I don't know what this really does.

I would appreciate it if someone who got freetype character positioning right to reply. Doesn't matter how you used it, just what you ddid to get it right.

Thanks

Hmm... I haven't looked at the NeHe tutorial, but I don't use the FT_BitmapGlyph struct at all and don't have any problems with my text:
	FT_UInt res;
FT_GlyphSlot slot;

res = FT_Load_Char((FT_Face)face, code, FT_LOAD_RENDER);

// get quick pointer to FT glyph data
slot = ((FT_Face)face)->glyph;

// store glyph offset and advance data
xoffs = slot->bitmap_left;
yoffs = slot->bitmap_top;
advance = ((float)slot->advance.x) / 64.0f; // convert .6 fixed to float

I then render the glyph like so:
	// calculate base positions
x1 = x + ((float)xoffs * scale);
y1 = ((float)yoffs * scale);

// ---[ render glyph at (x1, y1) here ]---

// increment position
x += advance * scale;

Hope this helps!

I think there's a parameter named bitmap_top you need to add somewhere. Let me look it up. . .

Edit

From bpoint's post:

xoffs = slot->bitmap_left;
yoffs = slot->bitmap_top;

The documentation: Linky

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!