• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
matthughson

Started Cell Phone Dev

This topic is 4459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Guys, First off I'll admitantly say I haven't spent a lot of time searching for resources yet. I just want to plant this seed, and see where it goes, as I do my own research. Anyway, I am looking into getting into 2D game development for Cell Phones, and I'm looking for a tutorial series. I have a good amount of PC and Console game development experience, but have never done anything on phones. I have extensive experience in C/C++, and use Action Script on a regular basis for work. I've done a bit of C# too. I don't have any Java experience though, but would like to use it for this project. I feel confident that I can learn it as I go. So can anyone think of any tutorials tailored to someone with this experience? As I said, I'll keep looking on m own, but would love a push in the right direction. Thanks, Matt

Advertisement
Check the sticky thread in this forum. There are plenty of links to useful resources including tutorials and an e-book that takes you step by step through the whole process.

shmoove

Quote:
Original post by matthughson
So can anyone think of any tutorials tailored to someone with this experience? As I said, I'll keep looking on m own, but would love a push in the right direction.

Some time ago I was in the same situation as you, Matt. I got a job as a game programmer for mobile phones but I had completly no idea even how to create a midlet. Fortunately, I took a couple of days and read some tutorials on Java and M3G. Thanks to my previous experience in games for PC I have no bigger troubles with Java games development. If you already have the basis, don't worry. Just note that Java is NOT C++ and there are some fundamental differences which can make you feel confused if you stick to your C++ habbits ('references', arrays ...).

In the company, we use mostly M3G and Mascot Capsule v3. You can find lots of good official tutorials on Sony-Ericsson, Nokia and other sites. Also check out these tutorials :
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wi-mobile1/index.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-mobile2/
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/apis/articles/3dgraphics/

The biggest problem in game development for mobile phones are limitations. Limitation is a word you have to write on your screen. ;) Thus, mobile programmers has to be really smart and spend a lot of effort on code optimization. Plus, there are lots of compatibilty issues across different phones (emulators don't spot all differences).

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info guys!

I actually found this article really helpful. I read it last night, and by midnight had a good chunk of a pac-man game running on a cell phone! This is really exciting stuff!

I appretiate your warnings of the limitations of cellphones, and I'm actually looking forward to that. I like squeezing cool stuff out of very limited platforms, so this should be a lot fun.

Feel free to post any additional resources!

Thanks,
Matt

It's in the sticky thread, so I don't know if you've seen it or not, but if you're in the mood for some reading, have a look at this.

This wiki is not bad either.

shmoove

Quote:
Original post by shmoove
It's in the sticky thread, so I don't know if you've seen it or not, but if you're in the mood for some reading, have a look at this.

Great resource! The section on sprites, tiled layers, and layer managers, was extremely helpful!

Matt

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!