are there "average" programmers that are successful?

Started by
60 comments, last by Silverwings 18 years ago
People have different talents and interests. It's called nature and nuture.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Taralieth
But what's more important is your ability to produce results. It doesn't matter how "untalented" you are, what matters is if you can get the job done, which often enough doesn't require a "genius" to do.
I think this is probably the best advise in this thread.

Usually, it's better to have something done than to do it perfectly, but only do part of it. If you can constantly get the job done, then you're an asset, regardless if you come up with the most elegant solution or not.
Quote:
there's no absolute fairness. some ppl are just born with high IQ and we can't do anything about it.

That's not absolutely true, we can do something about it. We can sneak into their rooms in the middle of the night and give them a frontal lobotomy :)

But in all seriousness...I consider myself an average programmer and I have done just fine with what I have managed to achieve. You don't have to be the best to be successful.
do unto others... and then run like hell.
regardless of whether or not you can or will be a "great" programmer, yes you can get a job as a moron. Read The Daily WTF. Total dumbasses who have no idea how to program get programming jobs (sometimes they become leads). So yes, you can be successful and not be the elite.
hi everyone, thanks for the replies. my whole rant started from trying to get a new software engineering job after spending 5yrs at my current company. I see the current market is pretty darn competitive and the 'cool' jobs are taken by the ivy grads or people with serious technical background. Since i got married, got a mortgage, and drive a old rust bucket of a car, i am so motivated to improve my technical skills and understanding. I guess sometimes if you try to rush things, too much information can get overwhelming. I guess i also need to remind myself "nothing worthwhile comes easy". i also picked up a book at borders called something like "heuristics.. something... how to solve problems". I guess i need to reread my math/calc books to understand the algorithms in this book. it seems like a pretty good read...hopefully that may improve my thinking ability or at least impress someone at my next interview.
By definition most of us here are average. I find it funny that people are saying things like "I have a friend who is average"; incinuating that they themselves are a rockstar. I'd say that average is where you want to fall in. The more important questions are: How productive are you? Can you work independently or do you need a lot of hand holdoing? Do you follow instructions well? Are you dependable? Do you work well with others and communicate well to other? (communication is really #1) Don't stress yourself out, I'm sure you'll do fine.
Funny that it took 15th replies until someone pointed out that softskills like communication is also important.
I remember that I was once asked by my boss if a fellow student (who applied for a job at this company) would fit into the team. He was not interested about the technical skills of the fellow student but in the person...

A problem might be that some programmers are not willed to educate themself any further after they reached a certain (average) stage and get along in their job with the knowledge they have.
I've been working in the industry for a few years and w/o question there are plenty of successful "average" programmers.

As mentioned above, word-of-mouth and who you know often go a lot further than your skillset.

Also some people can talk a good game in an interview and land a job, w/o being qualified for a position.

Just my two cents from my small experience.

BennyW
And don't forget to eat lots of proteins... :D
We should never stop learning...
Don't take this wrong guys. I'm not trying to brag. Now that that is said...
I usually have been one of the "smart" kids through all of school. I graduated early from high school. Since soccer/football was mentioned, I should mention that through my youth, I was never "athletic" at all. I was more technology, video games, computer type child and teenager. Over the last year I've been trying to learn to play soccer/football, and I can tell you that through some practice, I'm getting it. Though I don't have any athletic background whatsoever, I'm getting to be as good as anyone I see at the pick-up games where I play. And most of these guys are Mexicans who have played most of their life. Yeah, lots are better than me, but that is to be expected.

OK, the point to the post is that though I have one type of background and in the other field, I not even average, rather less than average, through work, practice and trials, I've gotten better than average. Programming applies here as well. Mine just happened to be the other way around. Though with my programming it has been the same way. I've gotten much better over time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement