2+2=5

Started by
115 comments, last by Cell 18 years ago
RoboGuy, Practical problems include the Cubeless destruction of humanity, and the pernicious brainwashing of children. The current method works fine for 1-corner thought. But for Cubicism, it proves to be a mental hindrance that bans Academians from accepting the truth.

Now I am thinking rationally. That means I invoke rational rules like Occam's Razor. So when Academians apply arbitrary restrictions to their index laws in order to mask contradictions, they are violating Occam's Razor: consequently, violating rationality.

Conner McCloud, yes, the algebra may be part of this irrational Academian single-corner thought. So you are saying that the religion of algebra should be upheld and worshipped forever, or at least until all the algebra-users resort to cannibalism and self-extinguish?

Now if you read the article -1*-1=+1 is Stupid and Evil, you would have seen that a ± solution was proposed. So we have:

-4 * (-2 + 3)
-4 * -2 + -4 * 3
±8 ±12
{-20,-4,4,20}

-4 * (-2 + 3)
-4 * (±2 ±3)
-4 * {-5,-1,1,5}
{-20,-4,4,20}

We see that in both cases, Cubic maths gives the full, correct results set. Note that it gives the full Cubic 4 corners, instead of the limited, logically contradictory Academian 1-corner.

CloudNine, your second and third equations need to be altered to a ± outcome, to reflect that both negative and positive exist in the LHS of them.

Now I will address your "funny things".

x=1/0
1=0x

The multiplication doesn't work that way, and so given that the division is defined in terms of multiplication, the division doesn't work either. But now...

sqrt(-1)

That would be equal to ±1, under the true maths, the Cubic maths. The Academian maths is wrong on that one.

0.99999999.... = 1

Actually there is nothing truly infinite in the universe. See article The Rational Belief. At the lowest level, there is a fundamental quantisation, and there is no infinitely divisible continuum. So, there wouldn't actually exist anything like 0.99999 repeating forever: rather, there would only be the number 1, and other such numbers that do not entail infinity.
Advertisement
Lol. Funny.
I suppose you guys redefine multiplication for symmetry.

But why not do that, rather:
define so that a b = -a*b
(you may want to choose other symbol. I took it because it's post icon that looks most like multiplication[lol])
So:
1*1 = 1
-1 * -1 = 1
1 1 = -1
-1 -1 = -1

You have two symbols for multiplication now, one with positive "bias" and other with negative. You can define third, unbiased one that gives both results.

1 1 = ± 1

edit: better yet, you can even define that
11 = [lol]1

As for giving proof, axioms is not something that you prove.

edit: btw, how's about solving this very simple game-related problem with your algebra: some object has been tossed into air. Ignoring air resistance, given velocity v, point p, and gravity g, find position and velocity after time t has passed. Or similarly, given position and velocity of such falling object, find what position it had time t ago.
With normal algebra, you just have single formula:
p'=p+v*t+g*t*t/2
v'=v+v*t
where results is consistent with real world where object doesn't magically appear flying along four trajectories, but is in one point.

[Edited by - Dmytry on April 16, 2006 6:04:46 AM]
Quote:Original post by CubicAwareness
Nilkn, no, it's not a misapplication, except under the arbitrary restriction applied by Academian pedants, a restriction that violates Occam's razor. For they seek to conceal the undeniable contradictions that exist within their 1-corner system.

Mathematcians require that algebra be logically consistent. In doing so, they employ the principle of proof by contradiction to dispel of propositions which are not in line with the rest of the system. How is this a problem, and moreover, how is this an "arbitrary restriction ... that violates Occam's razor"? I realize that Academian mathematics does not conform to your viewpoints of how mathematics should be constructed, however this does not justify your claims that it is internally inconsistent.
The first place I am told to start on the Time Cube theory is with the Principle of Opposites. The explanation of this principle begins:

Quote:"Why something rather than nothing?" This is a fundamental philosophical question.
It is indeed a philosophical question.

Quote:But when Gene Ray tackled it, he invoked the Principle of Opposites.
Whose principle is that?

Quote:Opposites are required for there to be "something".
Why is "something" in scare quotes? Why are opposites required for there to be "something"?

Quote:First, however, let's consider that other concept—the concept of "nothing". Let's think about a singularity.
What does the text mean by singularity? It is extremely unclear.

Quote:A singularity is nothing.
Is it?

Quote:It's zero.
Fascinating.

Quote:It's a single, solitary point.
Really? If only there was some sort of argument here, I might give a sh*t.

Quote:There's no existence outside of it—you can't go in or out.
Right. It isn't a door.
"C combines all the power of assembly language with all the ease of use of assembly language"
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
Sometimes they are. The axiom of pairing is an axiom, and yet I can happily prove it from the axioms of power set and separation.

Quote:edit: btw, how's about solving this very simple game-related problem with your algebra: some object has been tossed into air. Ignoring air resistance, given velocity v, point p, and gravity g, find position and velocity after time t has passed. Or similarly, given position and velocity of such falling object, find what position it had time t ago.
With normal algebra, you just have single formula:
p'=p+v*t+g*t*t/2
v'=v+v*t
where results is consistent with real world where object doesn't magically appear flying along four trajectories, but is in one point.
*Sigh*. This is clearly a 1-corner problem. You need more corners!

"C combines all the power of assembly language with all the ease of use of assembly language"
Quote:Original post by NotAnAnonymousPoster
Sometimes they are. The axiom of pairing is an axiom, and yet I can happily prove it from the axioms of power set and separation.

If (in some axiomatic system) you can prove one axiom from other axioms (of this axiomatic system), this axiom is redundant and becomes a theorem (in this axiomatic system), no?
If (in some axiomatic system) you can prove one axiom from other axioms (of this axiomatic system), this axiom is redundant and becomes a theorem (in this axiomatic system), no?
No. Every axiom is a theorem anyway, and redundancy is not prohibited, though can be avoided for the sake of economy. In ZF, there are axioms of pairing, comprehension, power set and separation. Comprehension can be deduced from separation alone, and pairing can be deduced from power set and separation, meaning there is redundancy. It is acceptable because separation is usually considered a significantly stronger axiom than pairing and comprehension.
RoboGuy, Practical problems include the Cubeless destruction of humanity, and the pernicious brainwashing of children. The current method works fine for 1-corner thought. But for Cubicism, it proves to be a mental hindrance that bans Academians from accepting the truth.

So, basically, this is a combination cult-conspiracy theory? I have not seen any concrete proof of these claims.

Quote:
Now I am thinking rationally. That means I invoke rational rules like Occam's Razor. So when Academians apply arbitrary restrictions to their index laws in order to mask contradictions, they are violating Occam's Razor: consequently, violating rationality.

Ironically, your method of math would make it more complicated, thus violating Occam's Razor. Also, Occam's Razor simply doesn't apply here. Complex things can exist, even if it would be possible for a simpler thing, which would be mutually exclusive of the complex thing. The very fact that we are here to discuss this is proof.

Quote:
Now if you read the article -1*-1=+1 is Stupid and Evil, you would have seen that a ± solution was proposed. So we have:

-4 * (-2 + 3)
-4 * -2 + -4 * 3
±8 ±12
{-20,-4,4,20}

-4 * (-2 + 3)
-4 * (±2 ±3)
-4 * {-5,-1,1,5}
{-20,-4,4,20}

We see that in both cases, Cubic maths gives the full, correct results set. Note that it gives the full Cubic 4 corners, instead of the limited, logically contradictory Academian 1-corner.

That paper misrepresents the currently accepted algebra. sqrt(-1)2 is not the same as sqrt(-1*-1). The rule is sqrt(a) * sqrt(b) == sqrt(a * b), where a and b are positive real numbers.

Quote:
0.99999999.... = 1

Actually there is nothing truly infinite in the universe. See article The Rational Belief. At the lowest level, there is a fundamental quantisation, and there is no infinitely divisible continuum. So, there wouldn't actually exist anything like 0.99999 repeating forever: rather, there would only be the number 1, and other such numbers that do not entail infinity.

0.9... is one. One exists, right? Therefore 0.9... exists.
Mathematics doesn't exist in the universe anyway (you can't feel, smell or touch a number) - it's a product of our minds - so there's every possiblity of infinity.
-4 * (-2 + 3)
-4 * -2 + -4 * 3
±8 ±12
{-20,-4,4,20}

A minor curiosity. Suppose I pose a simple practical problem which requires a sequence of arithmetical computations, such as those above, to be made. The result, if computed in your system, will be a 4-tuple, yet I am looking for a single value. How do I pull from the 4-tuple the correct answer? If you wouldn't mind, perhaps you can solve the following very simple question to demonstrate:

Quote:
I am at my house, and I have a certain amount of apples. I go to the supermarket, where I buy 10 more apples. Next, I go see my Grandma, and in doing so I double the amount of apples I have. Having finished my business, I start returning home, but am stopped by a friend who gives me 3 more apples. When I am finally back home, I have 35 apples in total. How many did I start with?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement