• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mojtaba_e

Network Programming Library

This topic is 4576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I want a (simple) Network library for my game,but i don't have enough time for learnning a hard and complex library. I want this library support Windows and Linux OS. I use Visual Studio 2003 compiler. I want to use my game in Game Net(Game Server). Please help me. Thanks, --Mojtaba-- [Edited by - mojtaba_e on April 8, 2006 10:01:57 AM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_net/

Quote:
Original post by mojtaba_e
Oh no,
I want a simple Library! [totally]

It doesn't get much simpler than SDL_net.

It takes away all of the platform specific code and simplifies polling the sockets.

If you can't grasp SDL_net then it may be time to re-think what you want from a network library or if you even want to network anything.

Yes a higher level networking library like RakNet (which is useful with Irrlicht btw) may be more what you are looking for but your original post wasn't very descriptive as to what you want and from my experience networking doesn't get much simpler than SDL_net.

You link with the library, include the header and you are there (difficulty varies with IDE/compiler). Granted you need to know something about how to handle a server or client but I would imagine that is the same for any networking library.

A little more specific on what you want besides "simple" and we might be able to help out more.

I personally say just use berkely sockets, they're nearly identical to windows sockets (winsock) as far as i know, the only way they differ is the set of WSA functions (as far as i know)

cheers
-Dan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!