C# as a FPS programming laguage

Started by
17 comments, last by u1jd 18 years ago
Is this a viable language for a FPS game, or would it be best to stick with C++ Cheers
Advertisement
Yea it would be fine for any type of game.
Look in the forums, this is an EXTREMELY frequent topic with many, many long threads discussing the topic.
-janoside [Firestorm Engine]
C# is fully capable. That's not the problem though, the problem is: do you want to learn it?
It's the best not to compare the languages but instead, you should look at what you know and what you want to reach. If you think that "learning c# because it's more productive" weighs heavier than "sticking with c++ because I know it already" then go ahead and learn it.

Once again, C# is fully capable.
Take the language where you feel most comfortable. There are FPS in Delphi, Perl, etc. why shouldn't it be possible to make it in c#?
I am already a developer in C# and was wondering if it would be capable, say i wanted to develop something along the lines of Battlefield 2, would that be possible.

Also can anyone point to the best place to start and recommend a good 3D engine to work with.

Thanks for all your help and replies
DaWanderer posted his C# OpenGL BSP engine a while ago. You might be interested in having a look.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Actually, I have the same question.

Is C# fully capable AND appropriate for 3D games? Will they work well? And is it "easy"? I mean, will I have to reinvent the wheel and the bicycle 3 times to just draw a vertex, or it's all good?

Thanks!
Quote:Original post by Huffer
Actually, I have the same question.

Is C# fully capable AND appropriate for 3D games? Will they work well? And is it "easy"? I mean, will I have to reinvent the wheel and the bicycle 3 times to just draw a vertex, or it's all good?
It's pretty much the same as C++, because you're using the same APIs (except in the case of MDX, but the functionality is the same).

As is the case with C++, if you don't want to reinvent the wheel, then that's what an engine is for.
Then what are the advantages of using C# over C++?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement