• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Huffer

Please help choose a language

This topic is 4609 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I know this might sound stupid and I read about how important it is to ask intelligent and good questions but I just need help. Basically, I'm really interested in programming and have lots of enthusiams to learn etc. I've actually been learning for quite a while and I know PHP, some C++ (co-written a pretty cool program), some C# (read a book), and now, after almost 8 months of no programming, I started with Python. My question is: what should I use? Which language should I just learn totally and not ask questions? What I want, I guess, is, well, to know how to program, at least on a solid intermediate level and create games, because it's fun. Of course, later I wanna do 3D, but right now 2D (SDL, HGE etc.) will do. Other than that, I'm pretty clueless about what to do. So your recommendations based on common sense? As I said, I'm not a complete noob, I know OOP pretty well, I know some C++, some C#, some PHP, now some Python, but I simply don't have any "live" language. I can't really sit down and right something cool yet. All my knowledge is a bit "dead". I know how this loop works, how this function works, but actually using it is a problem. So any help will be appreciated.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Huffer
My question is: what should I use? Which language should I just learn totally and not ask questions?

To summarize a lot of heated argument, learn C#. The major reason is that it doesn't require you to learn all the underlying systems and structure before you can make something that is interesting.

But you should still ask questions, and still learn other languages. Professional games involve more than one computer language. You have scripting languages like Lua, languages used in tools such as MEL, languages for your own custom tools, shell programming for build tools, and so on.

As far as what programs to write, read this article and several of the others under "Resources" on the site. You should also read Tom Sloper's advice if you are serious about game development.

Based on what you have described, a realistic goal would probably be a tetris clone.

hi

My advice to you would be to check out this site.

www.thegamecreators.com

they have so many good programs:

Dark basic classic : Very simple to learn but can create good results.

Dark basic Pro : A little harder to learn but is a very powerful language several commercial companies have used it in there games/programs.

Play basic : 2d programming.

Cheers

Phil

Quote:
Original post by Huffer
My question is: what should I use? Which language should I just learn totally and not ask questions?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, but it sounds like you are looking for a Golden Hammer language. None exist (it would be impossible for one to exist, because of conflicting requirements). What are you planning on doing with the language?

No, I'm not looking for any easy ways. Definitely not. All I was asking for is advice on what is the most... well, useful language to learn right now. That's all. Of course they all have their pros and cons, but which one would you recommend to learn to a person who has programming experience?

Does C# have its place in the IT (not only game, I mean) industry now? Because I love the language yet I was cautious about this .NET thing. I thought it's too "limited". But if you tell me that C# is already widely used etc. etc., I'd definitely learn C#.

Or should I just learn C++ and forget my troubles? It's still the prime language and I can't see it giving its place up anytime soon.

So based on your experience, what is it? I just don't want to waste time learning a language just for the hell of knowing it. I need to know that this language is widely used, and me knowing it would be a big plus to my resume or something...

Oh, and one more, please. If I do take C#, should I learn this new C# 2.0? Cause when I was learning it, I learnt the first one (and 1.1). And used Visual Studio 2003. Now do I have to buy VS 2005 and download the 2.0 Framework, and then buy a book on C# 2.0? Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!