• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Self Publishing?

This topic is 6198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m working on a video game for a console and was wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with distributors directly without going through a publisher? I don''t need money from a publisher to fund the game (budget is taken care of), but I was interested in knowing if going through a publisher is going to be the only way to get the game into retail outlets, or if I can work with a distributor(s) directly and publish the game myself. If so any ideas of what I should expect when negotiating with them, and are there distributors who can put the game in more than one retailer, or will I have to target each store individually? Any information will be very helpful!

Advertisement
From what I understand you have to pay quite a large sum of money to even get the opportunity to have your game in a store. So, you really do need a publisher to distribute your game in stores.

http://www15.brinkster.com/nazrix/main.html

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Actualy, self publishing is a hell of a lot easier then it was in the old days. We have this little advent called the internet.

It would be a low start up cost to get a server a few banner adds and a E-store online to sell your game, you could even have it as a web only distribution(no shipping, just download). Also create a little stir on game news pages. Have a demo, screenshots, a little bit of information. Even send stuff to magazines, you just never know when they have room for the little guys, they may even do a whole feature on self published games, or independant game developers some time and you''ll be happy they have your stuff archived.

I am not saying its a cake walk, but it is possible.

• Advertisement