Self Publishing?

Started by
1 comment, last by dial0g 23 years, 2 months ago
I''m working on a video game for a console and was wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with distributors directly without going through a publisher? I don''t need money from a publisher to fund the game (budget is taken care of), but I was interested in knowing if going through a publisher is going to be the only way to get the game into retail outlets, or if I can work with a distributor(s) directly and publish the game myself. If so any ideas of what I should expect when negotiating with them, and are there distributors who can put the game in more than one retailer, or will I have to target each store individually? Any information will be very helpful!
Advertisement
From what I understand you have to pay quite a large sum of money to even get the opportunity to have your game in a store. So, you really do need a publisher to distribute your game in stores.

http://www15.brinkster.com/nazrix/main.html

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Actualy, self publishing is a hell of a lot easier then it was in the old days. We have this little advent called the internet.

It would be a low start up cost to get a server a few banner adds and a E-store online to sell your game, you could even have it as a web only distribution(no shipping, just download). Also create a little stir on game news pages. Have a demo, screenshots, a little bit of information. Even send stuff to magazines, you just never know when they have room for the little guys, they may even do a whole feature on self published games, or independant game developers some time and you''ll be happy they have your stuff archived.

I am not saying its a cake walk, but it is possible.
- Sephiras

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement