• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Eldritch

3D Character Animation for Symbian S60

This topic is 4474 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am thinking about adding 3D characters to my 3D application run under Symbian Series 60, but I have not many ideas on how to make that possible. Tips and suggestions would be warmly welcome. As far as 3D character animation goes, I have a theory on how it works. Each animation consists of a number of keyframes. With each keyframe, each vertex of the character will be at a specific location. When calling an animation, it is simply run from start to the first keyframe by interpolating the vertices, and then from the first keyframe to the second, and so on... Does that sound correct?

Advertisement
You can have skin and bones based animation the same way as for any other engine. If you are using OpenGL ES 1.1 it's already supported there. If you are using your own 3d renderer it's easy to implement too (check this site, info should be here). Bones based animation have about the same performance (in software) but take less memory - you have to store only matrices. But code is a bit more complex.

Guest Anonymous Poster
What power of CPU does a Symbian Series 60 have in it ???
Does it have one of the 3D processors that supposedly some of these devices are to eventually have??
Does it even have a floating point unit ???

Even with only one fairly low poly (150?) figure its got to have a frighteningly slow framerate. I suppose it also doesnt have alot of memory, so that animated sprites can have only a limited set of animations at a fairly low resolution.

Edit -- Hmm found this:

7650\7610- 32 bit, RISC cpu based on ARM-9 123 MHz 8Mb flash used as RAM
3650\3660 32-bit RISC CPU based on ARM-9 series, 104 MHz 6mb flash used as RAM
N-Gage 32-bit RISC CPU based on ARM-9 series 123 MHz 4mb flash used as RAM
N-Gage QD 32-bit RISC CPU based on ARM-9 series 123 MHz 4mb flash
6600\6620 32-bit RISC CPU based on ARM-9 series, 104 MHz 6mb(6600) 12mb 6620
MMC memory is also used as RAM

Flash as RAM that cant be too fast.

The screen size probably isnt great either..... 176 x 208 pixels 16bit

Maybe stick figures ???

Guest Anonymous Poster
Doesn't need to have a fancy 3D chipset or anything... The brute power of the proc is well enought to produce outstanding 3D stuff. I've seen (both the C++ source and the demo running) of well known 3D "homebrew" engines running at more than 40fps with Quake 2 objects imported, playing multi channel music...

When you are a good programmer, you don't need floating point unit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!