• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
owl

[web] Do you know any good FREE hosting that allows you to run binary CGI files?

This topic is 4607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking in making a binary that parses text files containing scripts in some language. I wonder if it is easy to get a hosting service that allows you to have them running in a server. tnx.

Advertisement
Many hosts offer free PHP hosting, but you won't find anything really worthwhile without paying anything. You can see a list of free hosts here.

Actually the "FREE" part was to see if running binary cgi files was something common among hosting services. The few experiences I had with hosting services (mostly ASP and JSP) were at some point a pain in the ass when you had to run some special service or needed permisions for something. I've the impression that running an unknown binary file in a server could (should?) be considered risky and that it's not going to be easy to get such a service without a lot of troubles.

Hoping I could be wrong, I posted this thread... I'm going to check that list. Tnx.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not at all. Any provider that doesn't allow you to run your own CGI applications, even on a shared plan, could be argued to be a bad host.

Of course, it's highly unlikely that you will find anything of the sort on a free host, as it will be abused more often than not. On the other hand, commercial hosts typically have watchdogs set up to prevent excessive use of resources.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!